Ride the Wave Table Runner
Make a table runner featuring subtle color shifts among ocean blue batiks. Fabrics are from the Stonehenge Gradations collection, Robin’s Egg colorway,
by Linda Ludovico for Northcott.
Inspired by: Cheddar Together from designer Joyce Dean Gieszler
Quilt tester: Sarah Huechteman
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 1/2 yard each cream batik, aqua batik, and teal batik (blocks, setting and corner triangles, inner border, outer border)
- 1/8 yard light blue batik (blocks)
- 1/4 yard binding fabric
- 1-1/2 yards backing fabric
- 28×53" batting
Finished Table Runner: 19-1/4×44-3/4"
Finished Block: 9" square
Cut pieces in the following order.
Click here for the patterns. Be sure to transfer dots from patterns to templates and fabric pieces. The dots are matching points, which are used when joining pieces.
From cream batik, cut:
- 1—14-1/4" square, cutting it diagonally twice in an X for 4 setting triangles total
- 2—8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 4 corner triangles total
- 1—2-1/2×10" strip
- 1—1-1/2×35" strip
- 8—1-1/2×3-1/2" rectangles
From aqua batik, cut:
- 2—2×38-3/4" inner border strips
- 2—2×16-1/4" inner border strips
- 1—2-1/2×35" strip
- 3—2-1/2" squares
From teal batik, cut:
- 2—2×41-3/4" outer border strips
- 2—2×19-1/4" outer border strips
- 6—2-3/4" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 12 small triangles total
- 1—1-1/2×10" strip
- 12 each of patterns A and A reversed
From light blue batik, cut:
- 12 of Pattern B
From binding fabric, cut:
- 4—2-1/2×42" binding strips
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
1. Sew together cream batik 1-1/2×35" strip and aqua batik 2-1/2×35" strip to make Strip Set A (Diagram 1). Cut strip set into twelve 2-1/2"-wide A segments.
2. Sew together teal batik 1-1/2×10" strip and cream batik 2-1/2×10" strip to make Strip Set B (Diagram 2). Cut strip set into four 1-1/2"-wide B segments.
3. Sew together a cream batik 1-1/2×3-1/2" rectangle and an A segment to make Corner Unit 1 (Diagram 3). The unit should be 3-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make eight total of Corner Unit 1.
4. Sew together a B segment and a remaining A segment to make Corner Unit 2 (Diagram 4). The unit should be 3-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four total of Corner Unit 2.
5. Referring to Diagram 5, sew together a teal batik A triangle and a light blue batik B triangle. Add a teal batik A reversed triangle to make a side unit. The unit should be 3-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 12 side units total.
6. Sew teal batik small triangles to opposite edges of an aqua batik 2-1/2" square (Diagram 6). Add teal batik small triangles to remaining edges to make a center unit. The unit should be 3-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make three center units total.
7. Referring to Diagram 7, lay out three of Corner Unit 1, four side units, one of Corner Unit 2, and one center unit in three rows. Sew together pieces in rows. Join rows to make Block A. The block should be 9-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make two A blocks total.
8. Referring to Diagram 8, lay out two of Corner Unit 1, four side units, one center unit, and two of Corner Unit 2 in three rows. Sew together pieces in rows. Join rows to make Block B. The block should be 9-1/2" square including seam allowances.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Table Runner Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks, cream batik setting triangles, and two cream batik corner triangles in three diagonal rows. Sew together pieces in rows. Press seams away from blocks. Join rows and remaining cream batik corner triangles to make quilt center; press seams in one direction.
2. Trim quilt center to 13-1/4×38-3/4" including seam allowances.
Add Inner and Outer Borders
1. Sew aqua batik 2×38-3/4" inner border strips to long edges of quilt center (Table Runner Assembly Diagram). Add aqua batik 2×16-1/4" inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward inner border. The quilt center now should be 16-1/4×41-3/4" including seam allowances.
2. Sew teal batik 2×41-3/4" outer border strips to long edges of quilt center (Table Runner Assembly Diagram). Add teal batik 2×19-1/4" outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with binding strips.