Pink Flower Table Topper
Inspired by "Cottage Garden" from designer Kim Diehl
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
- 8" square tan check (block)
- 5/8 yard total assorted cream prints (blocks, sashing)
- 6" square dark pink print (appliqué)
- 6" square pink print (appliqué)
- 5" square dark pink floral (appliqué)
- 1/2 yard dark pink check (appliqué, border, binding)
- 1/8 yard green print (appliqué)
- 8" square green tone-on-tone (bias strips)
- 5/8 yard backing fabric
- 22x34" batting
- Lightweight fusible web
Finished quilt: 15-1/2x28-1/2"
Finished block: 12" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. (Download project pdf for appliqué patterns.)
To use fusible web for appliquéing, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern the number of times indicated on the cutting instructions, leaving 1/2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1/4" outside traced lines.
2. Following the manufacturer's instructions, press fusible-web shapes onto wrong sides of designated fabrics; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines; peel off paper backings.
From tan check, cut:
- 16--1-1/2" squares
From assorted cream prints, cut:
- 12--1-1/2x12-1/2" rectangles
- 4--1-1/2x10-1/2" rectangles
- 4--1-1/2x8-1/2" rectangles
- 4--1-1/2x6-1/2" rectangles
- 4--1-1/2x4-1/2" rectangles
- 1--4-1/2" square
- 1 of Pattern D
From dark pink print, cut:
- 1 of Pattern A
From pink print, cut:
- 1 of Pattern B
From dark pink floral, cut:
- 1 of Pattern C
From dark pink check, cut:
- 3--2-1/2x42" binding strips
- 2--2x17" border strips
- 2--2x10-1/2" border strips
- 2--2x9" border strips
- 1 of Pattern E
From green print, cut:
- 18 of Pattern F
From pink tone-on-tone, cut:
- 6 of Pattern E
1. Referring to Diagram 1, sew tan check 1-1/2" squares to ends of a cream print 1-1/2x4-1/2" rectangle to make segment A. Press seams toward cream print rectangle. Repeat to make two A segments total.
2. Repeat Step 1 to add tan check 1-1/2" squares to ends of two cream print 1-1/2x6-1/2" rectangles, making two B segments.
3. Repeat Step 1 to add tan check 1-1/2" squares to ends of two cream print 1-1/2x8-1/2" rectangles, making two C segments.
4. Repeat Step 1 to add tan check 1-1/2" squares to ends of two cream print 1-1/2x10-1/2" rectangles, making two D segments.
5. Sew assorted cream print 1-1/2x4-1/2" rectangles to opposite edges of a cream print 4-1/2" square (Diagram 2). Press seams away from center square.
6. Sew A segments to remaining edges of center square. Press as before (Diagram 3).
7. Referring to Diagram 4, continue adding cream print rectangles and B, C, and D segments to make a block. Press all seams away from center square. The block should be 12-1/2" square including seam allowances.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Add six assorted cream print 1-1/2x12-1/2" rectangles to opposite ends of block to make table topper center. Press seams toward rectangles just added. The table topper should be 12-1/2x24-1/2" including seam allowances.
2. Use a pencil to mark center of each short edge of quilt center. Referring to Diagram 5 and using an acrylic ruler, mark a diagonal line from each dot to each long edge of quilt center. (These points will be trimmed after the table topper is appliquéd to prevent edges from stretching during the appliqué process.)
1. Press fusible-web 8" square onto wrong side of green tone-on-tone 8" square following manufacturer's instructions; let cool.
2. Cut fused green tone-on-tone square into 2-3/8x8" bias strips, and 4-3/8x5-1/2" bias strips. Peel off paper backing from each strip to make long and short stems.
1. Referring to Table Topper Assembly Diagram, center dark pink print A circle over center square. Tuck ends of four short stems under A circle approximately 1/4". Tuck end of two long stems under the A circle, making sure the long stems do not extend beyond the triangle outline for the end of the topper. Fuse in place.
2. Working from the bottom to the top, place appliqué pink print B, dark pink floral C, cream print D, and dark pink print E circles atop A circle, fuse in place.
3. Position 18 green print F leaves; fuse in place.
4. Referring to Table Topper Assembly Diagram, position a pink tone-on-tone E circle to end of each stem, overlapping the stem 1/4"; fuse in place.
5. Using thread matching each appliqué and a zigzag stitch, machine appliqué each piece to make the table topper center.
6. Trim ends of table topper center on marked diagonal lines (Diagram 5).
1. Sew dark pink check 2x9" border strips to opposite short edges of quilt center. Press seam toward border. Using a rotary cutter and acrylic ruler, trim border strips even with edges of table topper center (Diagram 6).
2. Add dark pink check 2x10-1/2" border strips to remaining short edges. Press and trim as before.
3. Add dark pink check 2x17" border strips to long edges of quilt center. Press seams toward border. Referring to Diagram 7, trim ends of long border strips at an angle even with the short border strips to make table topper.
Finish Table Topper
1. Layer table topper, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with dark pink check binding strips.