Patriotic Hexagons Table Runner
Inspired by Charming and Cheerful from designer Sherri McConnell
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
40-5" squares assorted prints in blue, red, and white (table runner center)
1/4 yard red tone-on-tone (inner border)
5/8 yard blue star print (outer border, binding)
7/8 yard backing fabric
Finished table runner: 21-3/4x35-3/4"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
Click on "Download this Project" for patterns and details about templates. When making templates of the patterns, be sure to transfer dots from patterns to templates, then to fabric pieces. The dots are matching points and are used when joining pieces.
From assorted blue, red, and white prints, cut:
38 of Pattern A
4 of Pattern B
From red tone-on-tone, cut:
2-1-1/4x28-1/4" inner border strips
2-1-1/4x15-3/4" inner border strips
From blue star print, cut:
3-2-1/2x42" binding strips
2-3-1/2x29-3/4" outer border strips
2-3-1/2x21-3/4" outer border strips
Assemble Table Runner Center
1. Referring to Diagram 1, lay out assorted print A hexagons and B half hexagons in five vertical rows.
2. Beginning and ending stitching at marked dots, sew together pieces in each vertical row. Do not stitch past dots into seam allowances. Press seams toward bottom of each row (or wait to press until after joining all rows in order to press seams in the desired direction).
3. Sew together first two rows, aligning dots and setting in seams. To do this, align matching points of the first piece in row 1 (a hexagon) with the first piece in row 2 (a half hexagon); pin. Stitch by hand or machine, sewing from dot to dot. Repeat, pinning and sewing one set of hexagon edges at a time, until first two rows are joined. For more details, click on "Download this Project". Press seams as shown in Photo 9 of Hexagon Set-In Seams (on pdf download).
4. Repeat Step 3 to add remaining vertical rows to first two rows to make table runner center.
5. Trim table runner center to 14-1/4x28-1/2" including seam allowances (Diagram 2). Stay-stitch 1/8" from raw edges.
1. Referring to Table Runner Assembly Diagram, sew red tone-on-tone long inner border strips to long edges of table runner center. Add red tone-on-tone short inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward inner border.
2. Sew long blue star print outer border strips to long edges of table runner center. Add short blue star print outer border strips to remaining edges to complete table runner top. Press all seams toward outer border.
Finish Table Runner
1. Layer table runner top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with blue star print binding strips.