Mix-It-Up Table Runner
Inspired by: Spellbound from designer Amanda Niederhauser
Quilt tester: Sarah Huechteman
Finished size: 17-1/2×46-1/2"
Finished blocks: 12" square
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 1/4 yard each yellow print and red print (blocks)
- 3/8 yard each white print and aqua check (blocks, border)
- 1/3 yard aqua print (blocks, sashing)
- 9×21" piece (fat eighth) green print (block)
- 3/8 yard binding fabric
- 1-5/8 yards backing fabric
- 26×55" batting
Cut pieces in the following order.
From yellow print, cut:
- 12—3" squares
From red print, cut:
- 12—3" squares
From white print, cut:
- 6—5-1/4" squares
- 12—2-1/2 ×4-1/2" rectangles
- 12—2-1/2" squares
From aqua print, cut:
- 4—3×12-1/2" sashing rectangles
- 12—2-1/2" squares
From green print, cut:
- 3—4-1/2" squares
From aqua check, cut:
- 3—3 ×42" strips for border
From binding fabric, cut:
- 4—2-1/2×42" binding strips
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
1) Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each yellow print 3" square and each red print 3" square. (To prevent fabric from stretching as you draw lines, place 220-grit sandpaper under each square.)
2) Referring to Diagram 1, align two marked yellow print squares with opposite corners of a white print 5-1/4" square. Sew a scant 1/4" from drawn lines on both sides of lines. Cut apart on drawn lines to make two triangle units. Press triangle units open (Diagram 2).
3) Referring to Diagram 3, align a marked yellow print square with white corner of a triangle unit. Sew a scant 1/4" from each side of drawn line; cut apart on drawn line. Press triangles open to make two yellow Flying Geese units (Diagram 4). Trim each unit to 4-1/2×2-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat with remaining triangle unit to make four yellow Flying Geese units total.
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 using remaining marked yellow print squares to make 12 yellow Flying Geese units total.
5) Using marked red print squares, repeat steps 2 and 3 to make 12 red Flying Geese units.
6) Referring to Diagram 5, sew together a yellow Flying Geese unit and a red Flying Geese unit to make side unit. The side unit should be 4-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 12 side units total.
7) Sew together an aqua print 2-1/2" square and a white print 2-1/2" square (Diagram 6). Join a white print 2-1/2×4-1/2" rectangle to bottom edge to make a corner unit. The unit should be 4-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 12 corner units total.
8) Referring to Diagram 7 for orientation of corner units, lay out four corner units, four side units, and a green print 4-1/2" square in three rows. Sew together pieces in rows. Join rows to make a block. The block should be 12-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make three blocks total.
Assemble Table Runner Top
1) Referring to Table Runner Assembly Diagram, lay out aqua print 3×12-1/2" sashing rectangles and blocks in a row. Sew together pieces in row to complete table runner center; press seams toward sashing rectangles. The table runner center should be 12-1/2×46-1/2" including seam allowances.
2) Cut and piece aqua check 3×42" strips to make:
- 2—3×46-1/2" border strips
3) Sew aqua check border strips to long edges of table runner center to complete table runner top. Press all seams toward border.
Finish Table Runner
1) Layer table runner top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2) Bind with binding strips.