Mary's Fan Table Topper
Rotate the orientation of four appliquéd blocks to make a dynamic table topper. Fabrics are from the Hopewell collection by Jo Morton for Moda Fabrics.
Inspired by: Spring Sunrise from designer Shannon Arnstein
Quilt tester: Diane Tomlinson
Finished table topper: 28-1/2" square
Finished block: 12" square
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 1 yard total assorted dark prints (blocks)
- 3/4 yard total assorted tan prints (blocks)
- 1/4 yard each red print and cream print (inner border, outer border)
- 1/3 yard brown print (binding)
- 1 yard backing fabric
- 32"-square batting
- Lightweight fusible web
Cut pieces in the following order. Patterns are here.
From assorted dark prints, cut:
- 20 of Pattern A
- 4 of Pattern B
From assorted tan prints, cut:
- 4—13" squares
From red print, cut:
- 2—1-1/4×26" inner border strips
- 2—1-1/4×24-1/2" inner border strips
From cream print, cut:
- 2—1-3/4×28-1/2" outer border strips
- 2—1-3/4×26" outer border strips
From brown print, cut:
- 3—2-1/2×42" strips for binding
From fusible web, cut:
- 4—4" squares
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
1. Referring to Diagram 1, fold a dark print A piece in half with right side inside. Align long edges and finger-press fold. Stitch 1/4" from wide edges. Clip corner, being careful not to cut stitching line.
2. Turn Step 1 unit right side out; use a stiletto or the eraser end of a pencil to push out point. Place unit right side down on pressing surface. Using crease to center the point, finger-press seam open. Press point flat to make a wedge (Diagram 2).
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make 20 wedges total.
4. Referring to Diagram 3, align long edges of two wedges; sew together. Add three more wedges in the same manner to make a fan unit (Diagram 4). Repeat to make four fan units total.
5. Place a fusible-web 4" square paper side up on Pattern B; align lower left-hand corner edges. Use a pencil to trace Pattern B. Referring to Diagram 5, place marked fusible-web square paper side up on a dark print 4" square. Sew 1/4" inside curved line. Cut on curved line. Carefully clip curved edge just up to seam line. Remove paper backing, turn right side out, and finger-press seam in one direction to make a quarter-circle appliqué. Repeat to make four quarter-circle appliqués total.
6. Referring to Diagram 6, position a fan unit in lower left-hand corner of a tan print 13" square; pin in place. Hand- or machine-appliqué pointed fan edge to square.
7. Referring to Diagram 7, place a quarter-circle appliqué in lower left-hand corner of Step 6 unit, overlapping base of fan unit and aligning corner edges. Following manufacturer’s instructions, fuse quarter-circle appliqué in place. Hand- or machine-appliqué curved edge to fan unit. Trim top and right-hand edges of appliquéd square to make a 12-1/2"-square block (Diagram 7).
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 to make four blocks total.
Assemble Table Topper Center
1. Referring to Table Topper Assembly Diagram for block orientation, sew together blocks in pairs. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each pair.
2. Join pairs to make table topper center. Press seams in one direction. The table topper center should be 24-1/2" square including seam allowances.
1. Referring to Table Topper Assembly Diagram, sew red print 1-1/4×24-1/2" inner border strips to opposite edges of table topper center. Add red print 1-1/4×26" inner border strips to remaining edges. Press seams toward inner border.
2. Sew cream print 1-3/4×26" outer border strips to opposite edges of table topper center. Add cream print 1-3/4×28-1/2" outer border strips to remaining edges to complete table topper top. Press seams toward outer border. The table topper top should be 28-1/2" square including seam allowances.
Finish Table Topper
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with brown print binding strips.