Fused Garden Blooms
To mimic the look of hand appliqué in less time, fuse pieces in place, then machine-stitch around each piece with matching thread and a tiny zigzag. The small prints and stripes featured are from the Wildflower Serenade II collection by Kansas Troubles Quilters for Moda Fabrics.
Inspired by "Faux Finish" from designer Linda Jenkins of Piece O' Cake Designs
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
18x22" piece (fat quarter) tan tone-on-tone (block appliqué foundation)
18x22" piece (fat quarter) green dot (appliqués)
10" square red floral (appliqués)
6" square each blue tone-on-tone and purple tone-on-tone (appliqués)
8" square green tone-on-tone (appliqués)
1/8 yard red tone-on-tone (appliqués)
1/2 yard tan floral (outer border)
1/2 yard dark blue floral (inner border, binding)
1/4 yard blue floral (inner and outer borders)
1 yard backing fabric
36" square batting
Lightweight fusible web
Finished quilt: 29-1/2" square
Finished block: 14" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabric. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" for pattern pieces.
To use fusible web for appliquéing pieces, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern the number of times indicated in cutting instructions, leaving 1/2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1/4" outside traced lines.
2. Following manufacturer's instructions, press fusible-web shapes onto wrong sides of designated fabrics; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From tan tone-on-tone, cut:
1-14-1/2" foundation square
From green dot, cut:
1-10" square, cutting it into enough 1-1/4"-wide bias strips to total 72" in length for vine appliqué
4 of Pattern A
From red floral, cut:
4 of Pattern B
From blue tone-on-tone, cut:
4 of Pattern C
8 of Pattern I
12 of Pattern N
From purple tone-on-tone, cut:
1 of Pattern J
24 of Pattern G
From green tone-on-tone
4 each of patterns D, E, and F
From red tone-on-tone, cut:
12 each of patterns K, L, and M
1 of Pattern H
From tan floral, cut:
4-6-1/2x17-1/2" outer border strips
From dark blue floral, cut:
4-2-1/2x42" binding strips
4-2x14-1/2" inner border strips
From blue floral, cut:
1. Finger-press tan tone-on-tone 14-1/2" square in half horizontally and vertically to make a block foundation with placement lines; unfold.
2. Referring to Diagram 1 for placement, position A–J pieces on block foundation. Fuse in place. Using matching thread, machine-zigzag-stitch around each piece to complete center block.
1. Using diagonal seams, cut and piece green dot 1-1/4"-wide bias strips to make: 4-1-1/4x18" vine strips
2. Fold each vine strip in half lengthwise with wrong side inside; press. Stitch 1/4" from long edges (Diagram 2). Refold and press each strip flat, centering seam in back, to make four vine appliqués.
Appliqué Outer Border Strips
1. Finger-press each tan floral 6-1/2x17-1/2" rectangle in half horizontally and vertically to make four outer border strip foundations with placement lines; unfold.
2. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram for placement, position a green dot vine appliqué piece on an outer border strip foundation. Pin in place.
3. Position K–N pieces on Step 2 outer border strip. Fuse in place. Using matching thread and a small zigzag, machine-stitch around each piece to make an appliquéd border strip. Note: Petal and flower center appliqués on each end will be appliquéd after each appliquéd border strip is sewn to the quilt center.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make four appliquéd border strips total.
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew dark blue floral inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Press seams toward inner border.
2. Add blue floral 2" squares to ends of remaining dark blue floral inner border strips to make two inner border units. Press seams toward inner border strips.
3. Sew inner border units to remaining edges of quilt center. Press seams toward inner border. The quilt center should now be 17-1/2" square including seam allowances.
4. Sew appliquéd border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Press seams toward inner border.
5. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, add blue floral 6-1/2" squares to ends of remaining appliquéd border strips to make two outer border units. Press seams toward blue floral squares. Sew outer border units to remaining edges. Press seams toward outer border.
6. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram for placement, fuse and appliqué remaining K–N pieces (petals and flower centers) to outer border corners to complete quilt top.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with dark blue floral binding strips.