Fused Circles Table Runner
Fuse a Zen garden-like table using Asian prints from the Hanako's treasures collection by Hoffman California Fabrics.
Inspired by Bubble Runner from designer Monica Solorio-Snow of Happy Zombie
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
3/4 yard total assorted dark prints in black and green (appliqués, outer border)
3/4 yard total assorted light prints in tan and gold (appliqués, outer border)
2/3 yard cream tone-on-tone (appliqué foundation)
1/8 yard fuchsia tone-on-tone (inner border)
1/3 yard black print (binding)
1-1/2 yards backing fabric
Lightweight fusible web
Machine embroidery thread: black, tan, green, and gold
Finished quilt: 22-1/2x42-1/2"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" for patterns. To use fusible web for appliquéing, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern the number of times indicated in cutting instructions, leaving 1/2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web circle roughly 1/4" outside traced lines. (To reduce stiffness in appliqués, also cut 1/4" inside traced lines of each piece and discard centers.)
2. Following manufacturer's instructions, press each fusible-web circle onto wrong side of designated fabric; let cool. Cut out fabric circles on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From assorted dark prints, cut:
From assorted light prints, cut:
From remaining assorted dark and light prints, cut:
11 each of patterns A, B, C, and D
From cream tone-on-tone, cut:
1-22x42" foundation rectangle
From fuchsia tone-on-tone, cut:
2-1x37-1/2" inner border strips
2-1x18-1/2" inner border strips
From black print, cut:
4-2-1/2x42" binding strips
Appliqué Quilt Center
1. Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram, arrange assorted dark and light print A-D circle appliqués on cream tone-on-tone 22x42" foundation rectangle, overlapping circles as desired. Following manufacturer's instructions, fuse all circles in place.
2. Trim the cream tone-on-tone rectangle to 17-1/2x37-1/2" including seam allowances to make quilt center.
3. Using matching embroidery thread, machine stitch around each circle appliqué with a narrow zigzag stitch.
Add Inner Border
Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew fuchsia tone-on-tone 1x37-1/2" inner border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add fuchsia tone-on-tone 1x18-1/2" inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward inner border.
Assemble and Add Outer Border
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew together 10 assorted light print 2-1/2" squares and nine assorted dark print 2-1/2" squares to make a long outer border strip. Press seams in one direction. The strip should be 2-1/2x38-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make a second long outer border strip.
2. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, join six assorted dark print and five assorted light print 2-1/2" squares to make a short outer border strip. Press seams in one direction. The strip should be 2-1/2x22-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make a second short outer border strip.
3. Sew long outer border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add short outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with black print binding strips.