Fresh Four-Patch Table Topper
Four-Patch blocks and setting squares team up for a fabulous table topper. This square table topper features fabrics from the Kiwi collection by Alice Kennedy for Timeless Treasures.
Inspired by "Orchard Lane" from designer Jill Abeloe Mead
Quiltmaker: Kathleen Williams
13-18x22" pieces (fat quarters) assorted prints in green, black, and white (blocks, setting squares, border corners)
3/8 yard solid green (inner border)
2/3 yard black-and-white floral (outer border)
1/2 yards black print (binding)
3-1/4 yards backing fabric
57" square batting
Finished quilt: 50-1/2" square
Finished block: 8" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From one green print, cut:
1-8-1/2" setting square
From remaining green, black, and white prints, cut:
11-8-1/2" setting squares
From solid green, cut:
2-1-1/2x42-1/2" inner border strips
2-1-1/2x40-1/2" inner border strips
From black-and-white floral, cut:
4-4-1/2x42-1/2" outer border strips
From black print, cut:
6-2-1/2x42" binding strips
Assemble Four-Patch Blocks
Set aside four matching green print 4-1/2" squares for border corners. Sew together four assorted green, black, and white print 4-1/2" squares in pairs (Diagram 1). Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make a Four-Patch block (Diagram 2). Press seams in one direction. The Four-Patch block should be 8-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 13 Four-Patch blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks and assorted green, black, and white print 8-1/2" setting squares in five rows.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward setting squares.
3. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 40-1/2" square including seam allowances.
1. Sew short solid green inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Join long solid green inner border strips to remaining edges. Press seams toward inner border.
2. Sew black-and-white floral outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Press seams toward outer border. Sew green floral 4-1/2" border corner squares to ends of remaining outer border strips to make long outer border strips. Press seams toward squares. Join long outer border strips to remaining edges of quilt center to complete quilt top. Press seams toward outer border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with black print binding strips.