Fourth of July Mug Rugs
Make your next outdoor barbecue special with handmade coasters showcasing patriotic motifs. Fabrics are from the Fireworks & Freedom collection by Bella Blvd for Riley Blake Designs.
Inspired by: Two Can Play from designer Heidi Staples of Fabric Mutt
Project tester: Martha Gamm
Materials for One Mug Rug
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 5"-square patriotic print (If you plan to fussy-cut motifs, you’ll need more than a 5" square.)
- 10"-square blue print
- 5-1/2"-square backing fabric
- 5-1/2"-square batting
Finished size: 5" square
Cut pieces in the following order.
From patriotic print, cut:
- 9—1-1/2" squares
From blue print, cut:
- 2—1×5-1/2" rectangles
- 4—1×4-1/2" rectangles
- 6—1×1-1/2" rectangles
Assemble Mug Rug
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
1) Referring to Diagram 1, lay out patriotic print 1-1/2" squares and blue print 1×1-1/2" rectangles in three vertical rows. Sew together pieces in rows. Join rows and two blue print 1×4-1/2" rectangles to make mug rug center. The center should be 4-1/2" square including seam allowances.
2) Referring to Diagram 2, join remaining blue print 1×4-1/2" rectangles to opposite edges of mug rug center. Add blue print 1×5-1/2" rectangles to remaining edges to complete mug rug top. The top should be 5-1/2" square including seam allowances.
3) Layer mug rug top right side up, backing 5-1/2" square right side down, and batting square.
4) Sew together edges of layered pieces, leaving a 2-1/2" opening in one edge for turning (Diagram 3).
5) Turn the mug rug right side out through the opening. Use the eraser end of a pencil to push out the corners; hand-sew opening closed to finish mug rug.