Floral Strips Log Cabin Quilt
Trim large-scale florals and geometric prints from the Happy Together Corduroy collection from Timeless Treasures Fabrics into strips to create a playful Log Cabin quilt.
Inspired by Harvest Table from designer Betsy Chutchian
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
1/8 yard solid bright pink (block centers)
4 to 6-9x22" pieces (fat eighths) assorted orange and pink prints (blocks)
4 to 6-9x22" pieces (fat eighths) assorted blue prints (blocks)
7/8 yard blue floral (border, binding)
1-1/4 yards backing fabric
Finished quilt: 28-1/4x35"
Finished block: 6-3/4" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. For best results, cut strips for the blocks lengthwise (with the wale of the corduroy parallel to long edges).
From solid bright pink, cut:
12-1-1/4" squares for block centers
From assorted orange and pink prints, cut:
From assorted blue prints, cut:
From blue floral, cut:
2-4-1/4x35" border strips
2-4-1/4x20-3/4" border strips
4-2-1/2x42" binding strips
1. Sew together a solid bright pink 1-1/4" square block center and an assorted orange or pink print 1-1/4" square (Diagram 1). Press seam toward solid bright pink square.
2. Sew an assorted orange or pink print 1-1/4x2" rectangle to left-hand edge of Step 1 unit (Diagram 2). Press seam toward just-added rectangle.
3. Add an assorted blue print 1-1/4x2" rectangle to bottom edge of Step 2 unit (Diagram 3). Press seam toward just-added rectangle.
4. Sew an assorted blue print 1-1/4x2-3/4" rectangle to right-hand edge of Step 3 unit (Diagram 4). Press as before.
5. Referring to Diagram 5, continue adding rectangles in counterclockwise order to Step 4 unit to make a Log Cabin block. Press all seams away from center. The block should be 7-1/4" square including seam allowances.
6. Repeat steps 1–5 to make 12 Log Cabin blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out Log Cabin blocks in four horizontal rows, rotating blocks in a Straight Furrows setting as shown. Diagonal lines of lights and darks will emerge across the quilt center.
2. Sew together blocks in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row.
3. Join rows to make quilt center; press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 20-3/4x27-1/2" including seam allowances.
Sew blue floral 4-1/4x20-3/4" border strips to short edges of quilt center. Add blue floral 4-1/4x35" border strips to remaining edges of quilt center to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with blue floral binding strips.