Floral Pastel Table Runner
Inspired by Attention to Detail by Wendy Sheppard
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
- 1/4 yard each solid linen and linen print (appliqué foundations, blocks)
- 5/8 yard teal dot (border, binding)
- 1/4 yard purple floral (sashing)
- 1/8 yard each solid teal, light purple print, green print, purple stripe, and green dot (blocks)
- 1/4 yard purple dot (appliqués)
- 1/8 yard blue dot (appliqués)
- Scraps of assorted prints in blue and green (appliqués)
- Scraps of solid blue (appliqués)
- 1-1/3 yards backing fabric
- 25x47" batting
- Lightweight fusible web
Finished quilt: 16-1/2x38-1/2"
Finished block: 10" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
Click on "Download this Project" for full-size patterns and tips for making and using appliqué templates. To use fusible web for appliquéing patterns A-E, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern the number of times indicated in cutting instructions, leaving 1/2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1/4" outside traced lines.
2. Following the manufacturer's instructions, press each fusible-web shape onto wrong side of designated fabric; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From solid linen, cut:
- 2-8-7-1/2" squares
From linen print, cut:
- 1--7-1/2" square
- 12 of Pattern K
From teal dot, cut:
- 3--2-1/2x42" binding strips
- 2--2-1/2x34-1/2" border strips
- 2--2-1/2x16-1/2" border strips
From purple floral, cut:
- 2--1-1/2x34-1/2" sashing strips
- 4--1-1/2x10-1/2" sashing strips
From solid teal, cut:
- 12 of pattern F
From light purple print, cut:
- 12 of pattern G
From green print, cut:
- 12 of Pattern H
From purple stripe, cut:
- 12 of Pattern I
From green dot, cut
- 12 of Pattern J
From purple dot, cut:
- 2 of Pattern A
- 12 of Pattern C
From blue dot, cut:
- 1 of Pattern A
- 6 of Pattern C
From assorted blue print scraps, cut:
- 6 each of patterns E and E reversed
From assorted green print scraps, cut:
- 6 each of patterns E and E reversed
From solid blue scraps, cut:
- 3 of Pattern B
- 18 of Pattern D
Appliqué Block Centers
1. Fold each solid linen and linen print 7-1/2" square in half diagonally twice. Press lightly to make foundation squares with placement guidelines; unfold.
2. Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram, position the following pieces on a foundation square: one purple dot A flower, one solid blue dot B circle, six purple dot C flowers, six solid blue D circles, two assorted green and/or blue print E leaves, and two assorted green and/or blue print E reversed leaves. Following manufacturer's instructions, fuse all pieces in place.
3. Set up your machine with a short and narrow blanket stitch. Using matching thread, machine-appliqué around each piece to appliqué block center.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to appliqué three block centers total.
1. Sew together a solid teal F piece and a light purple print G piece, aligning angled ends (Diagram 1). Press seam away from F piece.
2. Referring to Diagram 2, add a green print H piece, purple stripe I piece, green dot J piece, and linen print K piece to make a corner unit. Press all seams away from F piece.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make 12 corner units total.
4. Sew corner units to opposite edges of an appliquéd block center (Diagram 3). Add corner units to remaining edges to make a block. Press all seams toward corner units. The block should be 10-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make three blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew together blocks and purple floral 1-1/2x10-1/2" sashing strips in a vertical row. Press seams toward sashing strips. Add purple floral 1-1/2x34-1/2" sashing strips to long edges of vertical row to make quilt center. The quilt center should be 12-1/2x34-1/2" including seam allowances. Press seams toward sashing strips.
2. Sew teal dot 2-1/2x34-1/2" border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add teal dot 2-1/2x16-1/2" border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with teal dot binding strips