Easy Squares Table Topper
Inspired by "Orchard Lane" from designer Jill Abeloe Mead
Quiltmaker: Kathleen Williams
- 5/8 yard total assorted green prints (setting squares, border)
- 1/2 yard total assorted plum prints (blocks, border)
- 1/3 yard total assorted pink prints (blocks, border)
- 3/8 yard plum print (binding)
- 1-1/8 yards backing fabric
- 39" square batting
Finished quilt: 32-1/2" square
Finished block: 8" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From assorted green prints, cut:
- 4--8-1/2" setting squares
- 8--4-1/2x8-1/2" rectangles
From assorted plum prints, cut:
- 18--4-1/2" squares
From assorted pink prints, cut:
- 14--4-1/2" squares
From plum print, cut:
- 4--2-1/2x42" binding strips
Assemble Four-Patch Blocks
Sew together two plum print and two pink print 4-1/2" squares in pairs (Diagram 1). Press seams toward plum prints. Join pairs to make a Four-Patch block (Diagram 2). Press seams in one direction. The Four-Patch block should be 8-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make five Four-Patch blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks and assorted green print 8-1/2" setting squares in three rows.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward setting squares.
3. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction.
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew together two green print 4-1/2x8-1/2" rectangles, a pink print 4-1/2" square, and a plum print 4-1/2" square to make a short border strip. Press seams in one direction. Repeat to make a second short border strip.
2. Sew together two green print 4-1/2x8-1/2" rectangles, a pink print 4-1/2" square, and three assorted plum print 4-1/2" squares to make a long border strip. Press seams toward green print rectangles. Repeat to make a second long border strip.
3. Sew short border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with plum print binding strips.