Cross and Crown Tabletop Quilt
Inspired by Crossing Point from designer Karen Witt of Reproduction Quilts
- 1/4 yard dark gray floral (block)
- 2--6x9" pieces of dots, one in pink and one in gray (block)
- 2--9" squares of houndstooth prints, one in pink and one in gray (block)
- 1/3 yard fuchsia-and-black print (border) If using the featured print, where the border was fussy-cut from a large wavy stripe, you'll need 1/2 yard.
- 1/4 yard solid dark gray (binding)
- 2/3 yard backing fabric
- 24" square batting
Finished quilt: 17-1/2" square
Finished block: 12" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
If using the featured large wavy stripe, cut border strips lengthwise (parallel to the selvages) and centered over the desired stripe.
From dark gray floral, cut:
- 4--4-7/8" squares
- 2--2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangles
- 4--2-7/8" squares
- 2--2-1/2" squares
From each dot, cut:
- 1--4-7/8" square
- 1--2-7/8" square
From each houndstooth print, cut:
- 1--4-7/8" square
- 1--2-1/2x41/2" rectangle
- 1--2-7/8" square
- 1--2-1/2" square
From fuchsia-and-black print, cut:
- 2--3x17-1/2" border strips
- 2--3x12-1/2" border strips
From solid dark gray, cut:
- 2--2-1/2x42" binding strips
1. Use a pencil or chalk pencil to draw a diagonal line on wrong side of each dark gray floral 4-7/8" and 2-7/8" square.
2. Place a marked dark gray floral 4-7/8" square atop an assorted dot or houndstooth print 4-7/8" square. Sew 1/4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1). Cut squares apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press each triangle unit open, pressing seam toward dark gray floral, to make two large triangle-squares. Each triangle-square should be 4-1/2" square including seam allowances.
3. Repeat Step 2 with remaining marked dark gray floral 4-7/8" squares and remaining dot and houndstooth print 4-7/8" squares to make eight large triangle-squares total. Set aside one large triangle-square from each dot or houndstooth print for another project.
4. Using the marked dark gray floral 2-7/8" squares and the dot and houndstooth print 2-7/8" squares, repeat Step 2 to make eight small triangle-squares total (Diagram 2). Each triangle-square should be 2-1/2" square including seam allowances.
1. For one dot crown unit, gather one large triangle-square and two small triangle-squares in the same dot, a dark gray floral 2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangle, and a dark gray floral 2-1/2" square.
2. Referring to Diagram 3, sew together the dark gray floral 2-1/2" square and a small triangle-square (Diagram 3). Press seam toward triangle-square.
3. Referring to Diagram 4, sew together Step 2 unit, the large triangle-square, the dark gray floral 2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangle, and the remaining small triangle-square in two vertical rows. Press seams toward rectangle and large triangle-square. Join rows to make a dot crown unit. Press seam in one direction. The unit should be 6-1/2" square including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 to make a second dot crown unit.
5. For one houndstooth crown unit, gather the following pieces in the same houndstooth print: one large triangle-square, two small triangle-squares, a 2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangle, and a 2-1/2" square. Using pieces just gathered and referring to Diagram 5, repeat steps 2 and 3 to make a houndstooth crown unit. Repeat to make a second houndstooth crown unit.
6. Referring to Diagram 6, sew together dot and houndstooth crown units in pairs. Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make a block. Press seam in one direction. The block should be 12-1/2" square including seam allowances.
Add Border and Finish Quilt
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew fuchsia-and-black print 3x12-1/2" border strips to opposite edges of block. Add fuchsia-and-black print 3x17-1/2" border strips to remaining edges to make quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
2. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
3. Bind with solid dark gray binding strips.