Create a table runner in no time with precut strips left over from another project and chain piecing.
Designer: Lynette Jensen
- 11—2-1/2x42" precut strips assorted prints (table runner center)
- 1-1/8 yards yellow print (border, binding)
- 2-1/4 yards backing fabric
- 28×80" batting
Finished table runner: 20×72"
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From yellow print, cut:
- 4—4-1/4×42" strips for border
- 5—2-1/2×42" binding strips
- 2—4-1/4×12-1/2" border strips
Assemble Table Runner Center
For the featured table runner, designer Lynette Jensen used the technique known as the "Jelly Roll Race."
1) Using diagonal seams, join assorted print 2-1/2×42" strips along short edges to make a pieced strip about 440" long (Diagram 1). Trim seam allowances to 1/4" and press seams open.
2) Cut an 18"-long strip from one end of pieced strip (this allows seams to offset each other as table runner center is assembled).
3) With right side inside, fold pieced strip in half, matching short raw edges. Sew together along one long edge, stopping 1/4" from fold (Diagram 2). Slip a scissors inside fold and cut pieced strip in half. Open pieces to make a 4-1/2×211" strip (Diagram 3).
4) Fold 4-1/2×211" strip in half as before, matching short raw ends. Sew and cut as before to make an 8-1/2×105-1/2" strip.
5) Repeat the folding, sewing, and cutting process a total of five times to make a pieced unit. Press seams in one direction. The unit should be approximately 13×64-1/2" including seam allowances. Trim pieced unit to 12-1/2×64-1/2" including seam allowances to make table runner center.
1) Join yellow print 4-1/4×12-1/2" border strips to short edges of table runner center (Table Runner Assembly Diagram). Press seams toward border.
2) Cut and piece yellow print 4-1/4×42" strips to make:
- 2—4-1/4⁄×72" border strips
3) Add 4-1/4×72" border strips to remaining edges to complete table runner top. Press seams toward border.
Finish Table Runner
1) Layer table runner top, batting, and backing; baste.
2) Quilt as desired. Clarine Howe machine-quilted five-petal flowers and swirls across the table runner top.
3) Bind with yellow print binding strips.