Broken Dishes Quilt
In this asymmetrical quilt, crisp solid white sets off vibrant prints in the Broken Dishes blocks. A novelty print middle border and an outer border pieced from tone-on-tones and a small-scale floral work together to draw the viewer's eye across the quilt top. Fabrics are from the Alphabet Soup Girl collection from Riley Blake Designs.
Inspired by Side Dish from designer Roseann Meehan Kermes
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
1-1/8 yards solid white (Broken Dishes blocks, inner border)
1/4 yard pink novelty print (Broken Dishes blocks)
1-1/2 yards total assorted prints in blue, red, orange, gray, and green (Broken Dishes blocks, inner border corners, outer border)
1/3 yard dark turquoise print (inner border)
1 yard pink zoo print (middle border)
1/4 yard white novelty print (outer border)
1 yard gray small floral (outer border, binding)
3-5/8 yards backing fabric
64" square batting
Finished quilt: 55-1/8" square
Finished block: 8" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
Quilt tester Laura Boehnke cut the vertical middle border strip lengthwise (parallel to the selvages) so that all the pink zoo print would run in the same direction in the finished quilt.
From solid white, cut:
4-2-1/4x32-1/2" strips for inner border
32-4-7/8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 64 triangles total
From pink novelty print, cut:
7-4-7/8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 14 triangles total
From assorted prints, cut:
25-4-7/8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 50 triangles total
From dark turquoise print, cut:
8-2-1/4x16-1/2" strips for inner border
From pink zoo print, cut:
2-7-1/2x27" strips for middle border (cut lengthwise)
1-7-1/2x39-1/2" middle border strip (cut crosswise)
From white novelty print, cut:
From gray small floral, cut:
6-2-1/2x42" binding strips
1. Sew together a solid white triangle and a pink novelty print or assorted print triangle to make a triangle-square (Diagram 1). Press seam away from solid white. The triangle-square should be 4-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 64 triangle-squares total.
2. Referring to Diagram 2, sew together four triangle-squares in pairs. Press seams toward assorted print triangles. Join pairs to make a Broken Dishes block. Press seam toward top row. The block should be 8-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 16 Broken Dishes blocks total.
3. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out Broken Dishes blocks in four rows, rotating every other block 180° so seams abut. Sew together blocks in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row.
4. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 32-1/2" square including seam allowances.
Assemble And Add Inner Border
1. Draw a diagonal line on wrong side of each solid white 2-1/4" square.
2. Align a marked solid white square with one end of a dark turquoise print 2-1/4x16-1/2" strip (Diagram 3; note direction of drawn line). Stitch on drawn line, then trim, leaving a 1/4" seam allowance. Press open attached triangle, pressing seam toward solid white. In same manner, add another marked solid white square to opposite end of dark turquoise print strip to make a turquoise border unit. Repeat to make eight turquoise border units total.
3. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew together two turquoise border units in a row. Press seams open. Add a solid white 2-1/4x32-1/2 strip to one long edge of joined border units to make an inner border strip. Press seam away from solid white. The strip should be 4x32-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make four inner border strips total.
4. Sew together four assorted print 2-1/4" squares in pairs (Diagram 4). Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make a Four-Patch unit. Press seam in one direction. The unit should be 4" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four Four-Patch units total.
5. Sew inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add a Four-Patch unit to ends of each remaining inner border strip to make two long inner border strips. Press seams away from Four-Patch units. Add long inner border strips to remaining edges of quilt center. Press all seams toward inner border. The quilt center now should be 39-1/2" square including seam allowances.
Add Middle Border
1. Cut and piece pink zoo print 7-1/2x27" strips to make:
- 1-7-1/2x46-1/2" middle border strip
2. Sew pink zoo print 7-1/2x39-1/2" middle border strip to bottom edge of quilt center. Add pink zoo print 7-1/2x46-1/2" middle border strip to left-hand edge. Press all seams toward middle border. The quilt center now should be 46-1/2" square including seam allowances.
Assemble and Add Outer Border
1. Referring to Diagram 5, sew pink novelty print or assorted print 3-3/8" squares to opposite edges of a gray small floral 3-3/8" square to make Segment A. Press seams toward gray small floral. Repeat to make 18 total of Segment A.
2. Referring to Diagram 6, sew gray small floral 3-3/8" squares to opposite edges of a pink novelty print or assorted print 3-3/8" square to make Segment B. Press seams toward gray small floral. Repeat to make 17 total of Segment B.
3. Alternating A and B segments, sew together eight A segments and eight B segments to make a short outer border strip (Quilt Assembly Diagram). Press seams in one direction. The strip should be 9-1/8x46-1/2" including seam allowances.
4. Again alternating A and B segments, sew together 10 A segments and nine B segments to make a long outer border strip. Press seams in one direction. The strip should be 9-1/8x55-1/8" including seam allowances.
5. Sew short outer border strip to left-hand edge of quilt center. Add long outer border strip to bottom edge to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward middle border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with gray small floral binding strips.