Blue Diamond Table Runner
Inspired by: Cascading Diamonds from designer Minki Kim
Quilt tester: Martha Gamm
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 1 yard yellow print (sashing)
- 5—-1⁄4 yard pieces assorted blue prints (triangles)
- 1⁄2 yard binding fabric
- 1-1⁄2 yards backing fabric
- 25×69" batting
Finished size: 16-3⁄4×60-1⁄2"
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" for the pattern pieces.
From yellow print, cut:
- 10—-2-7⁄8 ×42" strips
From each assorted blue print, cut:
- 1—-6-1⁄2×42" strip
From binding fabric, cut:
- 5—-2-1⁄2 ×42" binding strips
1) Fold a yellow print 2-7⁄8 ×42" strip in half widthwise. Starting from raw edges, cut two of Pattern A to make two A and two A reversed sashing pieces (Diagram 1). Repeat with remaining yellow print strips to make 20 A and 20 A reversed sashing pieces total.
2) Referring to Diagram 2, fold a blue print 6-1⁄2 ×42" strip in half widthwise. Starting from raw edges, cut five of Pattern B to make 10 B triangles. Repeat with remaining blue print strips to make 50 B triangles total (10 in each blue print).
Assemble Quilt Top
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
1) Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out B triangles separated by A and A reversed sashing pieces in 10 horizontal rows, matching B triangle prints in vertical rows to form diamonds.
2) To join pieces in first horizontal row, place an A sashing piece atop a B triangle, aligning long edges (Diagram 3). Carefully sew together long edges; press open attached sashing piece.
3) Referring to Diagram 4, place B triangle atop Step 2 unit, aligning edges. Sew and press as before.
4) Continue adding remaining sashing pieces and triangles in the same manner to make a horizontal row; press seams away from B triangles.
5) Repeat steps 2–4 to make 10 horizontal rows total.
6) Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew together horizontal rows. Press seams in one direction.
7) Using acrylic ruler, cutting mat, and rotary cutter, trim long edges of joined rows even with inside corners of sashing pieces to complete quilt top (Trimming Diagram).
1) Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2) Bind with binding strips.