Balancing Act Table Topper
This easy table topper features subtle shifts in fabric contrast. Fabrics are from the Memoire A Paris 2019 collection and American Country 19th collection by Masako Wakayama for Lecien.
Inspired by: Mix & Match from AGF Studios
Quilt tester: Martha Gamm
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 3/4 yard total assorted light prints
- 1/2 yard total assorted medium prints
- 3/4 yard total assorted dark prints
- 3/8 yard binding fabric
- 1 yard backing fabric
- 36"-square batting
Finished size: 28-1/2"square
Cut pieces in the following order.
From assorted light prints, cut:
- 10—5-7⁄8" squares
- 8—5-1⁄2" squares
From assorted medium prints, cut:
- 5—5-7⁄8" squares
From assorted dark prints, cut:
- 17—5-7⁄8" squares
- 2—5-1⁄2" squares
From binding fabric, cut:
- 4—2-1⁄2×42" binding strips
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
1) Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each light and medium print 5-7⁄8" square and one dark print 5-7⁄8" square. (To prevent fabric from stretching as you draw lines, place 220-grit sandpaper under each square.)
2) Layer a marked light print square atop an unmarked dark print 5-7⁄8" square. Sew together, stitching 1⁄4" on each side of drawn line (Triangle-Square Diagram). Cut pair apart on drawn line; press open to make two light-dark triangle-squares. Each triangle-square should be 5-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 20 light-dark triangle-squares total.
3) Repeat Step 2 with marked medium print squares and unmarked dark print 5-7⁄8" squares to make 10 medium-dark triangle-squares. (You will use nine.)
4) Repeat Step 2 with marked dark print square and remaining unmarked dark print 5-7⁄8" square to make two dark-dark triangle squares.
Assemble Quilt Top
1) Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out 31 triangle-squares and light and dark print 5-1⁄2" squares in nine diagonal rows. Center each row on the row below and note orientation of units.
2) Sew together pieces in rows. Press seams open. Join rows to complete quilt top. Press seams in one direction.
3) Referring to Trimming Diagram, measure and trim 1⁄4" from center of units on left- and right-hand edges. Measure and trim 1⁄4" from point of first full row of units at top and bottom edges.
1) Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2) Bind with binding strips.