Art Deco Flower Table Topper
To make the urn appliqué appear to be more intricate than it is, fussy-cut a stripe to look like ornamentation. For an Art Deco look and greater definition of fused appliqué pieces, outline each one with a narrow black satin stitch. Fabrics are from the Saturday Afternoon collection by Jane Spolar of Quilt Poetry for Northcott.
Inspired by Sweet Centerpiece from designer Helen Stubbings of Hugs 'n Kisses
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
1⁄8 yard olive green print (appliqués)
3⁄4 yard gray print (appliqué foundation)
12" square purple geometric stripe (appliqués, blocks)
3⁄8 yard fuchsia geometric print (appliqués, blocks)
12" square lime green print (appliqués)
3⁄8 yard black print (appliqués, blocks)
3⁄8 yard fuchsia tone-on-tone (appliqués, inner border, binding)
1 yard backing fabric
33" square batting
Lightweight fusible web
Finished quilt: 24-1⁄2" square
Finished block: 4" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Appliqué placement diagram is on next page.
To use fusible web to prepare pieces for appliqué, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern the number of times indicated in cutting instructions, leaving 1/2" between tracings. Cut out fusible-web shapes roughly 1⁄4" outside traced lines. Also cut a 3x6" strip from fusible web.
2. Following manufacturer's instructions, press fusible-web shapes onto wrong side of fabrics indicated in cutting instructions; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines; peel off paper backings.
3. Fuse fusible-web 3x6" strip diagonally onto wrong side of olive green print.
From gray print, cut:
1-16-1⁄2" square for appliqué foundation
From unfused olive green print,cut:
4 of Pattern D
From fused olive green print rectangle,cut:
1-7⁄8x5" strip for center stem appliqué
3-3⁄8x5" bias strips for side stem appliqués
From purple geometric stripe, cut:
1 of Pattern A
1 of Pattern C
From fuchsia geometric print, cut:
2 of Pattern E
From lime green print, cut:
1 of Pattern H
11 of Pattern F
2 of Pattern J
From black print, cut:
2 of Pattern K
From fuchsia tone-on-tone, cut:
3-2-1/2x42" binding strips
2-1x16-1⁄2" inner border strips
2-1x15-1⁄2" inner border strips
1 of Pattern I
11 of Pattern G
Appliqué Quilt Center
1. Fold gray print 15-1⁄2" foundation square in half vertically; press lightly to make a center placement line and unfold.
2. Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram, position stems and pieces A–K on foundation square. Fuse each appliqué in place.
3. Using black thread and working from bottom layer to top, zigzag-stitch around each appliqué piece to make appliquéd quilt center.
4. WIth appliqué centered, trim gray foundation square to 15-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
Add Inner Border
Sew fuchsia tone-on-tone 1x15-1/2" inner border strips to opposite edges of appliquéd quilt center. Add fuchsia tone-on-tone 1x16-1/2" inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward inner border.
Assemble Pinwheel Blocks
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each fuchsia geometric print 2-7⁄8" square.
2. Layer a marked fuchsia geometric print square atop a black print 2-7⁄8" square. Sew together with two seams, stitching 1⁄4" on each side of marked line (Diagram 1). Cut apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press each triangle unit open, pressing seam toward black print, to make two triangle-squares. Each triangle-square should be 2-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 80 triangle-squares total.
3. Referring to Diagram 2, sew together four triangle-squares in pairs. Press seams toward black print triangles. Join pairs to make a Pinwheel block; press seam in one direction. The block should be 4-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 20 Pinwheel blocks total.
Assemble and Add Outer Border
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew together four Pinwheel blocks to make a short outer border strip. Press seams in one direction. The strip should be 4-1⁄2x16-1⁄2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make a second short outer border strip.
2. Sew together six Pinwheel blocks to make a long outer border strip (Quilt Assembly Diagram). Press seams in one direction. The strip should be 4-1⁄2x24-1⁄2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make a second long outer border strip.
3. Sew short outer border strips to opposite edges of appliquéd quilt center. Add long outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward inner border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with fuchsia tone-on-tone binding strips.