Craft a cuddly throw from plush fabrics, and discover an easy method that allows you to piece and quilt at the same time!
Designer: Pat Wodskow of Cuddle Soft Quilt Kits
Materials for Blue Quilt
• 1-7⁄8 yards plush backing fabric
• 3⁄4 yard brown-and-white floral plush fabric (quilt center; border Nos. 2, 3, and 4)
• 1 yard solid blue plush fabric (quilt center, border No. 3, binding)
• 1⁄2 yard solid white plush fabric (border No. 1)
• 3⁄4 yard brown-and-blue print plush fabric (border No. 4)
• 51x63" lightweight batting
• Washable basting spray
• Size 90 /14 sewing machine needle for stretch fabric
• Fine-point water-soluble marker
Finished quilt: 45×57"
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 58" of usable fabric width.
Measurements include 1⁄2" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
To make the green quilt, use gray-and-white floral instead of brown-and-white floral, solid green instead of solid blue, and gray-and-green print instead of brown-and-blue print.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From backing fabric, cut:
• 1-51×63" rectangle
From brown-and-white floral plush, cut:
• 2-5×29" border No. 2 strips
• 3-5×25" strips
• 8-5" squares
From solid blue plush, cut:
• 4-2×58" binding strips
• 2-5×41" border No. 3 strips
• 2-5×29" border No. 3 strips
• 4-5×25" strips
From solid white plush, cut:
• 4-3×29" border No. 1 strips
From brown-and-blue print plush, cut:
• 2-5×49" border No. 4 strips
• 2-5×37" border No. 4 strips
1. Use basting spray to adhere batting to wrong side of backing rectangle. Trim batting even with backing edges.
2. Referring to Diagram 1, use a ruler and fine-point water-soluble marker to mark placement guidelines on batting.
Add Quilt Center
1. Center a brown-and-white floral plush 5×25" strip on horizontal guideline, right side facing up (Diagram 2). Use basting spray to hold strip in place. Arrows on diagrams indicate the direction of nap.
2. Place a solid blue plush 5×25" strip atop first strip, right side down. Stitch one long edge through all layers using an even-feed foot. Apply basting spray to wrong side of blue plush strip before flipping it open (this is known as a stitch-and-flip method). Finger-press seam.
3. Repeat Step 2, alternating direction of fabric nap, to add a solid blue plush 5×25" strip to opposite long edge of brown-and-white floral plush strip.
4. Refer to Diagram 3 and repeat steps 2 and 3, alternating direction of nap at top and bottom, to add remaining brown-and-white floral plush 5×25" strips, then solid blue plush 5×25" strips, to make quilt center. The quilt center should be 25×29" including seam allowances.
1. Using the same stitch-and-flip method and referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew solid white plush 3×29" border No. 1 strips to long edges of quilt center. Add remaining solid white plush 3×29" border No. 1 strips to remaining edges; finger-press. The quilt center should now be 29×33" including seam allowances.
2. In the same manner, sew brown-and-white floral plush 5×29" border No. 2 strips to short edges of quilt center (Quilt Assembly Diagram); finger-press. The quilt center now should be 29×41" including seam allowances.
3. Add solid blue plush 5×41" border No. 3 strips to long edges of quilt center. Sew brown-and-white floral plush 5" squares to each end of solid blue plush 5×29" border No. 3 strips to make two border No. 3 units. Finger-press seams toward border No. 3 strips. Sew border No. 3 units to remaining edges of quilt center (Quilt Assembly Diagram). The quilt center now should be 37×49" including seam allowances.
4. Sew brown-and-blue print plush 5×49" border No. 4 strips to long edges of quilt center. Add brown-and-white floral plush 5" squares to each end of brown-and-blue print plush 5×37" border No. 4 strips to make two border No. 4 units. Finger-press seams toward border No. 4 strips. Sew border No. 4 units to remaining edges of quilt center to complete quilt top (Quilt Assembly Diagram).
1. Trim batting and backing even with edges of quilt top.
2. Join solid blue plush 2×58" binding strips with diagonal seams to make one long pieced binding strip. Trim seam allowances to 1⁄2" and finger-press open.
3. With the wrong side inside, fold under 1" at one end of pieced binding strip and finger-press. In center of one edge of quilt, place binding strip against right side of quilt top; align raw edges and make sure nap of binding strip faces toward center of quilt. Begin sewing binding in place 2" from folded end. Sew binding in place with 1⁄2" seam. Turn binding over edge to quilt back. Turn under raw edge of binding 1⁄2" and pin to quilt back, being sure to cover stitching line. Working from the front, sew binding in place with a serpentine (wavy) or zigzag stitch.