Striking Black-and-White Quilt
Quilt designer: Mabeth Oxenreider
From Quilts and More, 2005
- 30--8-1/2" squares of assorted black-and-white batiks for blocks
- 1-3/8 yards total of assorted black batiks for sashing
- 1-1/8 yards of red print for sashing and inner border
- 1-5/8 yards of black print for borders
- 5/8 yard of solid black for binding
- 3-7/8 yards of backing fabric
- 69x79" of quilt batting
Finished quilt top: 63x73"
Finished block: 8" square
Quantities specified for 44/45"-wide, 100 percent cotton fabrics. All measurements include a 1/4" seam allowance. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut the Fabrics
To make the best use of your fabrics, cut the pieces in the order that follows.
From assorted black batiks, cut:
- 71--2-1/2x8-1/2" sashing rectangles
From red print, cut:
- 13--2-7/8" squares
- 184--2-1/2" squares
From black print, cut:
- 7--4x42" strips for outer border
- 22--2-1/2x8-1/2" rectangles
- 13--2-7/8" squares
- 4--2-1/2" squares
From solid black, cut:
- 7--2-1/2x42" binding strips
Assemble the Sashing Units
1. For accurate sewing lines, use a quilter's pencil to mark a diagonal line on the wrong side of 142 of the red print 2-1/2" squares. (To prevent the fabric from stretching as you draw the lines, place 220-grit sandpaper under the squares.)
2. Align a marked red print 2-1/2" square with one end of a black batik 2-1/2x8-1/2" sashing rectangle (see Diagram 1; note the placement of the marked diagonal line). Stitch on the marked line; trim away the excess fabric, leaving a 1/4" seam allowance. Press the attached triangle open.
3. In the same manner, align a second marked red print 2-1/2" square with the opposite end of the black batik 2-1/2x8-1/2" rectangle (see Diagram 1, again noting the placement of the marked line). Stitch on the marked line; trim and press as before to make a sashing unit. The pieced sashing unit should still measure 2-1/2x8-1/2", including the seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make a total of 71 sashing units.
Assemble the Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out the 30 black-and-white batik 8-1/2" squares, the 71 sashing units, and the 42 remaining red print 2-1/2" squares in 13 horizontal rows.
2. Sew together the pieces in each row. Press the seam allowances away from the sashing units.
3. Join the rows to complete the quilt center. Press the seam allowances toward the block rows. The pieced quilt center should measure 52-1/2x62-1/2", including the seam allowances.
Assemble and Add the Borders
1. Use a quilter's pencil to mark a diagonal line on the wrong side of the 13 red print 2-7/8" squares.
2. Layer a marked red print 2-7/8" square atop each black print 2-7/8" square. Sew each pair together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of the drawn line (see Diagram 2).
3. Cut a pair apart on the drawn line to make two triangle units. Press each triangle unit open to make a triangle-square (see Diagram 3). Each triangle-square should measure 2-1/2" square, including the seam allowances. Repeat to make a total of 26 triangle-squares.
4. Lay out six triangle-squares and five black print 2-1/2x8-1/2" rectangles in a row. Sew together the pieces to make the top inner border strip.
5. Press the seam allowances toward the triangle-squares. Repeat to make the bottom inner border strip. Sew the top and bottom inner border strips to the short edges of the pieced quilt center. Press the seam allowances toward the border.
6. Lay out seven triangle-squares, six black print 2-1/2x8-1/2" rectangles, and two black print 2-1/2" squares in a row. Sew together the pieces to make a side inner border strip. Press the seam allowances toward the triangle-squares. Repeat to make a second side inner border strip. Sew the side inner border strips to the remaining edges of the pieced quilt center. Press the seam allowances toward the border. The pieced quilt center should now measure 56-1/2x66-1/2", including the seam allowances.
7. Cut and piece the black print 4x42" strips to make the following:
- 2--4x73-1/2" outer border strips
- 2--4x56-1/2" outer border strips
8. Sew the short black print outer border strips to the short edges of the pieced quilt center. Then add the long black print outer border strips to the long edges of the pieced quilt center to complete the quilt top. Press all seam allowances toward the outer border.
Complete the Quilt
1. Layer the quilt top, batting, and backing.
2. Quilt as desired. Designer Mabeth Oxenreider machine-quilted a large stippling pattern over the body of the quilt, outline-quilted 1/4" from the stars formed in the sashing, and quilted straight lines 2" apart in the borders.
3. Use the solid black 2-1/2x42" strips to bind the quilt.