Stacked Rectangles Quilt
Turn precut 10" squares into a quilted throw. It took two Moda Fabrics layer cakes of Collections for a Cause-Faith by Howard Marcus Dunn to create this pieced center that is framed by extra yardage of a dark print.
Quilt tester: Mary Pepper
44-10" precut squares or 3-5/8 yards total assorted dots, plaids, prints, and florals (quilt center)
2 yards brown print (border, binding)
4 yards backing fabric
Finished quilt: 62x79"
Quantities are for precut 10" squares and 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
Cut border and binding strips lengthwise (parallel to selvages).
To plan this quilt in your own colorway, click on "Download this Project" for a Coloring Diagram.
From assorted dots, plaids, prints, and florals, cut:
From brown print, cut:
2-6-1/2x67" border strips
2-6-1/2x62" border strips
5-2-1/2x62" binding strips
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Lay out seven assorted dot, plaid, print, and floral 5x10" rectangles in a row (Quilt Assembly Diagram). Sew together rectangles to make an A row. Press seams in one direction. Row A should be 5x67" including seam allowances.
2. Repeat Step 1 to make six A rows total.
3. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out six assorted dot, plaid, print, and floral 5x10" rectangles and two 5x5-1/4" rectangles in a row. Sew together rectangles to make a B row. Press seams in one direction. Row B should be 5x67" including seam allowances.
4. Repeat Step 3 to make five B rows total.
5. Alternating rows, join A and B rows to make quilt center (Quilt Assembly Diagram); press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 50x67" including seam allowances.
Sew long brown print border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add short brown print border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with brown print binding strips.