Squares and Sashing Quilt
Inspired by Another Spin from quilt collector Tonee White
Quilt tester: Mary Pepper
- 30--5" squares of assorted florals (blocks)
- 1-3/4 yards solid green (sashing, border, binding)
- 2-1/2 yards backing fabric
- 45x52" batting
Finished quilt: 36-1/2x43-1/4"
Finished block: 4-1/2" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Cut sashing and border strips lengthwise (parallel to the selvages.)
From solid green, cut:
- 5--2-1/2x42" binding strips
- 2--2-3/4x43-1/4" border strips
- 4--2-3/4x38-3/4" sashing strips
- 2--2-3/4x32" border strips
- 25--2-3/4x5" sashing rectangles
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out assorted floral 5" squares and solid green sashing rectangles in nine vertical rows.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams open. Each pieced row should be 5x38-3/4" including seam allowances.
3. Join pieced rows and solid green sashing strips to make quilt center. Press seams open. The quilt center should be 32x38-3/4" including seam allowances.
Sew short solid green border strips to short edges of quilt center. Add long solid border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams open.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with solid green binding strips.