Splashes of Color
Designer: Tammy Kelly
Machine Quilter: Linda DeVries
Plan Your Quilt
(Download the project pdf to get the Coloring Diagram to plan the layout of your quilt.)
3/4 yards total assorted pink batiks and prints (blocks)
3-5/8 yards total assorted purple batiks and prints (blocks)
2-3/4 yards total assorted green batiks and prints (blocks)
3/4 yard purple batik (binding)
7-1/4 yards backing fabric
Finished quilt: 80-1/2x88-1/2"
Finished blocks: 8" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut the pieces in the following order.
From assorted pink batiks and prints, cut:
From assorted purple batiks and prints, cut:
From assorted green batiks and prints, cut:
From purple batik, cut:
9-2-1/2x42" binding strips
1. Referring to Block Assembly Diagram, sew pink batik or print 2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangles to opposite edges of pink batik or print 4-1/2" square. Press seams toward rectangles.
2. Join pink batik 2-1/2x8-1/2" rectangles to remaining edges of pink batik square. Press seams toward rectangles to make a pink block. The pink block should be 8-1/2" square including seam allowances.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make 9 pink blocks total.
4. Using assorted purple batiks and prints, repeats steps 1 and 2 to make 56 purple blocks total.
5. Using assorted green batiks and prints, repeat steps 1 and 2 to make 45 green blocks total.
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks in eleven rows.
2. Sew together blocks in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row.
3. Join rows to make quilt top. Press seams in one direction.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2. Quilt as desired. Machine quilter, Linda DeVries stitched the blocks with a spiral box pattern (Quilting Diagram).
3. Bind with purple batik binding strips.