INSPIRED BY: Good Day, Sunshine from designer Jessica Dayon
QUILT TESTER: Diane Tomlinson
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 9—3/4 yard pieces assorted cream prints (A and B blocks, setting and corner triangles)
- 9—3/8 yard pieces assorted prints (A and B blocks, border, binding)
- 3-7/8 yards backing fabric
- 68" square batting
Finished quilt: 60" square
Finished blocks: 12" square
Cut pieces in the following order.
From each assorted cream print, cut:
- 2—6" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 4 large triangles total
- 2—5-1/2" squares, cutting each diagonally twice in an X for 8 small triangles total
From each of four assorted cream prints, cut:
- 2—3-1/2×12-1/2" rectangles
- 2—3-1/2×6-1/2" rectangles
- 4—2×3-1/2" rectangles
- 4—2" squares
From remaining cream prints, cut:
- 2—18-1/2" squares, cutting each diagonally twice in an X for 8 setting triangles total
- 2—9-1/2" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 4 corner triangles total
From each assorted print, cut:
- 1—4-1/2" square
- 4—3-1/4×6-1/4" rectangles
From each of four assorted prints, cut:
- 1—3-1/2" square
- 8—2" squares
From remaining assorted prints, cut:
- Enough 2-1/2"-wide strips to piece binding at least 250" in length
- 52—4-3/4" squares
Assemble A Blocks
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
1. From one cream print gather eight small triangles and four large triangles. From one assorted print gather one 4-1/2" square and four 3-1/4×6-1/4" rectangles.
2. Referring to Diagram 1, sew cream print small triangles to opposite edges of assorted print 4-1/2" square. Add cream print small triangles to remaining edges to make a Square-in-a-Square unit. Trim unit to 6-1/4" square including seam allowances.
3. Referring to Diagram 2, lay out remaining cream print small triangles, assorted print 3-1/4×6-1/4" rectangles, and Square-in-a-Square unit in three rows. Sew together pieces in rows. Join rows to make block center; trim dog-ears.
4. Sew cream print large triangles to opposite edges of block center (Diagram 3). Add remaining cream print large triangles to remaining block center edges to make Block A. Trim block to 12-1/2" square including seam allowances.
5. Repeat steps 1–4 to make nine A blocks total.
Assemble B Blocks
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each assorted print 2" square.
2. From one cream print gather four 2" squares, four 2×3-1/2" rectangles, two 3-1/2×6-1/2" rectangles, and two 3-1/2×12-1/2" rectangles. From one assorted print gather one 4-1/2" square and marked 2" squares.
3. Align a marked assorted print square with left-hand end of a cream print 2×3-1/2" rectangle (Diagram 4; note direction of marked line). Sew on marked line. Trim seam allowance to 1/4"; press open attached triangle. Add a marked assorted print square to opposite end of rectangle to make a Flying Geese unit. The unit should be 2×3-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make four matching Flying Geese units.
4. Referring to Diagram 5, lay out cream print 2" squares, Flying Geese units, and assorted print 3-1/2" square in three rows. Sew together pieces in rows. Join rows to make block center. The block center should be 6-1/2" square including seam allowances.
5. Sew cream print 3-1/2×6-1/2" rectangles to opposite edges of block center (Diagram 6). Add cream print 3-1/2×12-1/2" rectangles to remaining edges to make Block B. The block should be 12-1/2" square including seam allowances.
6. Repeat steps 2–5 to make four B blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, alternate blocks in five diagonal rows. Add cream print setting triangles. Sew together pieces in rows. Press seams away from A blocks. Join rows; press seams in one direction. Add cream print corner triangles to make quilt center. Press seams toward corner triangles. The quilt center should be 51-1/2" square including seam allowances.
2. Sew together 12 assorted print 4-3/4" squares to make a short border strip. The border strip should be 4-3/4×51-1/2". Repeat to make a second short border strip.
3. Sew together 14 assorted print 4-3/4" squares to make a long border strip. The border strip should be 4-3/4×60". Repeat to make a second long border strip.
4. Sew short border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2. Quilt as desired. Handi Quilter Studio Educator Vicki Hoth quilted a variety of feather motifs across the quilt top and quilted a repeating design in each border square (Quilting Diagram).
3. Bind with assorted print pieced binding strips.