Simple Sashing and Rectangles Quilt
Make a scrappy yet orderly quilt using aqua, lime, and cocoa print fat quarters. Aqua tone-on-tone sashing and binding tie together fabrics from the Spa collection by Rosemarie Lavin for Windham Fabrics.
Inspired by Rectangle Reverie from designer Monica Solorio-Snow of Happy Zombie Quilt tester: Kathleen Williams
10-18x22" pieces (fat quarters) assorted prints in aqua, lime, and cocoa (A rows)
7/8 yard brown floral (B rows)
2-1/8 yards aqua tone-on-tone (sashing, binding)
5 yards backing fabric
Finished quilt: 58-1/2x81-1/2"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.Download this Project
Cut pieces in the following order.
From assorted aqua, lime, and cocoa prints, cut:
From brown floral, cut:
From aqua tone-on-tone, cut:
8-2-1/2x42" binding strips
28-1-1/2x42" strips for sashing
24-1-1/2x6-1/2" sashing strips
25-1-1/2x2-1/2" sashing strips
Assemble A Rows
1. Sew together five assorted aqua, lime, or cocoa print 6-1/2x15-1/2" rectangles and four aqua tone-on-tone 1-1/2x6-1/2" strips to make an A row (Diagram 1). Press seams toward large rectangles. The A row should be 6-1/2x79-1/2" including seam allowances.
2. Repeat Step 1 to make six A rows total.Download this Project
Assemble B Rows
1. Sew together two brown floral 2-1/2x7-1/2" strips, four brown floral 2-1/2x15-1/2" strips, and five aqua tone-on-tone 1-1/2x2-1/2" strips to make a B row (Diagram 2). Press seams toward brown floral strips. The B row should be 2-1/2x79-1/2" including seam allowances.
2. Repeat Step 1 to make five B rows total.Download this Project
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Cut and piece aqua tone-on-tone 1-1/2x42" strips to make:
- 12-1-1/2x79-1/2" sashing strips
- 2-1-1/2x58-1/2" sashing strips
2. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram for placement, sew together A and B rows and aqua tone-on-tone 1-1/2x79-1/2" sashing strips. Press seams toward A and B rows.
3. Join aqua tone-on-tone 1-1/2x58-1/2" sashing strips to top and bottom edges of pieced rows to complete quilt top. Press seams toward sashing strips.Download this Project
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2. Quilt as desired. Machine-quilter Karen Gilson stitched an allover feather pattern across the quilt top.
3. Bind with aqua tone-on-tone binding strips.