Far from a typical flower appliqué quilt, this project uses big prints, abstract floral patterns, and muted, nontraditional colors to make the throw appear as if it were painted. Fabrics are from the Earthtones collection by Norman Wyatt, Jr., for P&B Textiles.
Inspired by How Sweet It Is from designer Jennifer Bosworth of Shabby Fabrics
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
1 yard cream print (blocks)
1⁄8 yard black print (blocks, appliqués)
7⁄8 yard blue-and-black floral (blocks, middle border)
1-1⁄8 yard blue print (blocks, appliqués, setting and corner triangles)
1⁄8 yard gold print (blocks, appliqués)
1⁄2 yard brown print (appliqué foundation)
9" square tan print (appliqué)
2-5⁄8 yard cream leaf print (appliqués, outer border, binding)
1-1⁄8 yard multicolor collage print (setting squares)
1⁄3 yard brown stripe (inner border)
4-2⁄3 yards backing fabric
84" square batting
Lightweight fusible web
Finished quilt: 75-3⁄8" square
Finished blocks: 12" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
To use fusible web for preparing patterns B-G for appliqué, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern the number of times indicated in the cutting instructions, leaving 1⁄2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1⁄4" outside traced lines.
2. Following manufacturer's instructions, press each fusible-web shape onto wrong side of designated fabric; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From cream print, cut:
8 of Pattern G
From black print, cut:
4 of Pattern E
From blue-and-black floral, cut:
6-3-1⁄2x42" strips for middle border
From blue print, cut:
2-18-1⁄4" squares, cutting each diagonally twice in an X for 8 setting triangles total
2-9-3⁄8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 4 corner triangles total
8 of Pattern A
4 of Pattern D
From gold print, cut:
4 of Pattern F
From brown print, cut:
From tan print, cut:
1 of Pattern B
From cream leaf print, cut:
7-8-1⁄2x42" strips for outer border
8-2-1⁄2x42" binding strips
8 of Pattern C, fussy-cutting them over desired leaves in print
From multicolor collage print, cut:
8-12-1⁄2" setting squares
From brown stripe, cut:
6-1-1⁄2x42" strips for inner border
Assemble Star Blocks
1. Use a pencil or white dressmaker's pencil to draw a diagonal line on wrong side of each cream print and black print 3-7⁄8" square.
2. Layer a marked cream print square atop a blue-and-black floral 3-7⁄8" square. Sew together with two seams, stitching 1⁄4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1). Cut apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press each triangle unit open, pressing seam toward blue-and-black floral, to make two cream print triangle-squares. Each triangle-square should be 3-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 16 cream print triangle-squares total.
3. Using marked cream print squares and blue print 3-7⁄8" squares, repeat Step 2 to make 16 blue print triangle-squares.
4. Using remaining marked cream print squares and gold print 3-7⁄8" squares, repeat Step 2 to make 16 gold print triangle-squares.
5. Using marked black print squares and remaining blue print 3-7⁄8" squares, repeat Step 2 to make 16 blue-and-black triangle-squares.
6. Referring to Diagram 2, lay out four cream print triangle-squares, four blue print triangle-squares, four gold print triangle-squares, and four blue-and-black triangle-squares in four rows. Sew together triangle-squares in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row. Join rows to make a star block. Press seams in one direction. The block should be 12-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four star blocks total.
Assemble Appliquéd Blocks
1. Sew together two blue print A bud pieces along side edges, leaving straight bottom edges unstitched (Diagram 3). Trim seam allowance to 1⁄8". Turn joined pieces right side out and press to make a bud unit. Referring to Diagram 4, fold bud unit in thirds, overlapping side edges. Press to make a blue bud appliqué. Repeat to make four blue bud appliqués total.
2. Fold brown print 13-1⁄2" square in half vertically and horizontally. Lightly press folds to make a foundation square with appliqué placement guidelines; unfold.
3. Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram, position the following appliqué pieces on a foundation square: one tan print B vine; eight cream leaf print C leaves; four blue print D flowers; four black print E flower centers; and four gold print F pieces. Tuck four blue bud appliqués under F pieces with folded edges facing up. Trim raw ends of bud appliqués to reduce bulk, if desired. Press all pieces in place.
4. Using threads in colors that match the appliqués and working from bottom layer to top, zigzag-stitch around all pieces except bud appliqué; stitch along inner curve of each F piece to secure buds in place.
5. With wreath appliqué centered, trim appliquéd foundation to 12-1⁄2" square, including seam allowances, to make an appliquéd block.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Diagram 5, position a cream print G scallop on a blue print setting triangle; fuse in place. Zigzag-stitch along scalloped edge to make an appliquéd setting triangle. Repeat to make eight appliquéd setting triangles total.
2. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out multicolor collage print setting squares, star blocks, appliquéd block, and appliquéd setting triangles in five diagonal rows.
3. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward setting squares or appliquéd block. Join rows; press seams in one direction. Add blue print corner triangles to make quilt center. Press seams toward corner triangles. The quilt center should be 51-3⁄8" square including seam allowances.
1.Cut and piece brown stripe 1-1⁄2x42" strips to make:
2-1-1⁄2x53-3⁄8" inner border strips
2-1-1⁄2x51-3⁄8" inner border strips
2. Sew short inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward inner border.
3. Cut and piece blue-and-black floral 3-1⁄2x42" strips to make:
2-3-1⁄2x59-3⁄8" middle border strips
2-3-1⁄2x53-3⁄8" middle border strips
4. Sew short middle border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long middle border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward middle border.
5. Using straight seams, cut and piece cream leaf print 8-1⁄2x42" strips to make:
2-8-1⁄2x75-3⁄8" outer border strips
2-8-1⁄2x59-3⁄8" outer border strips
6. Sew short outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with cream leaf print binding strips.