Giant Block Throw
Inspired by Supersize Shoo Fly from designer Malka Dubrawsky of A Stitch in Dye
Quilt Tester: Laura Boehnke
- 4-1⁄2-yard pieces assorted small prints in orange, green, and purple (blocks)
- 4-3⁄4-yard pieces assorted large prints in magenta, periwinkle, and brown (blocks)
- 1-yard dark magenta print (inner border, binding)
- 1-yard brown zigzag (outer border)
- 4-2⁄3 yards backing fabric
- 84" square batting
Finished quilt: 75-1⁄4" square
Finished block: 33-3⁄8" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From each small print, cut:
- 2--12" squares
- 1--11-5⁄8" square
From each large print, cut:
- 2--12" squares
- 4--11-5⁄8" squares
From dark magenta print, cut:
- 7--1-1⁄2x42"strips for inner border
- 8--2-1⁄2x42" binding strips
From brown zigzag, cut:
- 8--3-1⁄2x42" strips for outer border
1. For one block, gather two 12" squares and one 11-5⁄8" square from the same small print and two 12" squares and four 11-5⁄8" squares from the same large print.
2. Use a pencil to draw a diagonal line on wrong side of each small print 12" square.
3. Layer a marked square atop a large print 12" square. Sew together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1).
4. Cut pair apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press each triangle unit open, pressing seam toward darker print, to make two triangle-squares. Each triangle-square should be 11-5⁄8" square including seam allowances.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with remaining marked small print square and remaining large print square to make four triangle-squares total.
6. Referring to Diagram 2, sew together triangle-squares, large print 11-5⁄8" squares, and small print 11-5⁄8" square in three rows. Press seams toward print squares. Join rows to make a Shoo Fly block; press seams away from center row. The block should be 33-7⁄8" square including seam allowances.
7. Repeat steps 1–6 to make four Shoo Fly blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Center
Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks in pairs, rotating every other block 90 degrees so seams will nest. Sew together blocks in each pair. Press seams in opposite directions. Join pairs to make quilt center. Press seam in one direction.
1. Cut and piece dark magenta print 1-1⁄2x42" strips to make:
- 2--1-1⁄2x69-1⁄4" inner border strips
- 2--1-1⁄2x67-1⁄4" inner border strips
2. Sew short dark magenta print inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long dark magenta print inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward border.
3. Cut and piece brown zigzag 3-1⁄2x42" strips to make:
- 2--3-1⁄2x75-1⁄4" inner border strips
- 2--3-1⁄2x69-1⁄4" outer border strips
4. Sew short brown zigzag outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long brown zigzag outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with dark magenta print binding strips.