Fat-Quarter Floral Throw
Make a gardenlike quilt using Nine-Patch blocks and 9-1/2" floral setting squares. Use a variety of fat quarters for a scrappy look or use fewer fabrics for a controlled look. We used fabrics from Full Bloom by Bari J for Windham Fabrics (windhamfabrics.com).
Inspired by "Rhapsody in Blue" from designer Marinda Stewart
Quiltmaker: Mary Pepper
22-18x22" pieces (fat quarters) of assorted florals (blocks)
1/2 yard blue floral (binding)
3-1/2 yards backing fabric
61" square batting
Finished quilt: 54-1/2" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. You will cut 176 of the 3-1/2" squares and use 162 of them.
From each of 18 assorted florals, cut:
1-9-1/2" setting square
From each of remaining 4 assorted florals, cut:
From blue floral, cut:
6-2-1/2x42" binding strips
Assemble Nine-Patch Blocks
1. Referring to Block Assembly Diagram, lay out nine assorted floral 3-1/2" squares in three rows.
2. Sew together squares in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row.
3. Join rows to make a Nine-Patch block. Press seams in one direction. The block should be 9-1/2" square including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 1–3 to make 18 Nine-Patch blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram for placement, lay out Nine-Patch blocks and floral 9-1/2" setting squares in six rows, alternating blocks and squares.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward setting squares.
3. Join rows to complete quilt top. Press seams in one direction.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with blue floral binding strips.