Cute and Cuddly Throw
Inspired by From the Ground Up from designers Linda Jenkins and Becky Goldsmith of Piece O' Cake Designs
Quilt tester: Elizabeth Beese
Note: Because the fabric has stretch, working with plush can be a different experience. Senior editor Elizabeth Beese pieced this quilt entirely on a serger, which easily controlled the stretch of the fabrics. "I also cut pieces a little larger than the original so I could use 1⁄2" seam allowances," she says. Click on "Download this Project" above for more tips on working with plush fabrics.
- 1⁄2 yard each of solid aqua plush, solid coral plush, multicolor owl print plush, and red-and-white polka dot plush (quilt top)
- 1⁄3 yard each of multicolor chevron print plush and solid tan plush (quilt top)
- 5⁄8 yard binding print
- 3-2⁄3 yards backing fabrics
- 66×72" batting
Finished quilt: 58×66"
Yardages and cutting instructions (except for binding) are based on 58" of usable fabric width.
Measurements include 1⁄2" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From solid aqua plush, cut:
- 1--11×58" strip
- 2--3×58" strips
From solid coral plush, cut:
- 2--8×58" strips
From multicolor owl print plush, cut:
- 2--7×58" strips
From red-and-white polka dot plush, cut:
- 2--6×58" strips
- 2--2×58" strips
From multicolor chevron print plush, cut:
- 2--5×58" strips
From solid tan plush, cut:
- 2--4×58" strips
From binding print, cut:
- 7--2-1⁄2×42" binding strips
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out assorted plush strips.
2. Using a 1⁄2" seam allowance, join strips to make quilt top. Finger-press seams in one direction. If desired, trim edges to square them up.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with binding print binding strips.