Cozy Flannel Tied Quilt
Quilt designer: Peggy Kotek
From American Patchwork & Quilting, December 1997
1/2 yard of solid off-white flannel for appliqué backgrounds
3/8 yard each of 10 assorted plaid and print flannels for blocks and appliqués
3 yards of solid dark green flannel for backing and binding
Lightweight fusible web
Contrasting embroidery floss
Off-white yarn, floss, or perle cotton No. 5
54x66" of quilt batting
Finished quilt top: 48x60"
Finished blocks: 6" square
Quantities specified for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton flannels. All measurements include a 1/4" seam allowance unless otherwise stated.
From assorted red, green, black, and brown flannel prints, cut:
From brown flannel floral, cut:
From dark green flannel print, cut:
5-2-1/2x42" binding strips
1. Referring to Diagram 1, lay out 10 assorted red, green, black, and brown print 3-1/2" squares and six brown floral 3-1/2" squares in four rows.
2. Sew together squares in each row. Press seams in directions indicated by arrows.
3. Join rows to make a 16-Patch block (Diagram 2). Press seams in direction indicated. The block should be 12-1/2" square including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 1–3 to make sixteen 16-Patch blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks in four rows. At red circles intersections, re-press seams in opposite directions so they will interlock when blocks and rows are joined.
2. Sew together blocks in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row. Join rows to complete quilt top. Press seams in one direction.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with dark green flannel print binding strips.