City Lights Quilt
Combine rectangles and dark sashing and borders to create a quilt design that resembles a skyscraper with windows aglow. To get variety from a single collection, cut stripes both lengthwise and crosswise. Fabrics are from the Kew Gardens collection by Laura Ashley for Quilting Treasures.
Inspired by Sticks & Bricks from Amy Walsh of Blue Underground Studios
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
1-1/2 yards total assorted prints in green, lime, brown, and black (rows)
2-1/8 yards dark green print (rows, sashing, border, binding)
3-1/3 yards backing fabric
Finished quilt: 50-3/4x54"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.Download this Project
Cut pieces in the following order. Cut dark green print sashing and border strips lengthwise (parallel to the selvages).
From assorted prints, cut:
From dark green print, cut:
2—6-1/4x50-3/4" border strips
2—6-1/4x42-1/2" border strips
4—2-1/4x39-1/4" sashing strips
6—2-1/2x42" binding strips
1. Referring to Row Assembly Diagram, lay out five assorted print 1-1/2x7-1/2" rectangles, five assorted print 5x7-1/2" rectangles, and nine dark green print 1-3/4x7-1/2" rectangles in a horizontal row.
2. Sew together rectangles to make a row. Press seams in one direction. The row should be 39-1/4x7-1/2" including seam allowances.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make five rows total.Download this Project
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out rows and dark green print 2-1/4x39-1/4" sashing strips; rotate every other row 180° to create an alternating pattern.
2. Sew together rows and sashing strips to make quilt center. Press seams open. The quilt center should be 39-1/4x42-1/2" including seam allowances.
3. Sew dark green print 6-1/4x42-1/2" border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add dark green print 6-1/4x50-3/4" border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press seams open.Download this Project
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with dark green print binding strips.