Nine-Patch blocks in two colorways and setting squares in bold prints give a simple quilt a mod vibe. Fabrics are from the Berkeley collection by Alice Kennedy for Timeless Treasures Fabrics.
Inspired by Summer Salsa from designer Kathie Holland
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
5/8 yard pink floral (blocks)
3/4 yard mottled yellow (blocks)
1/4 yard purple floral (blocks)
1-5/8 yards purple paisley (setting squares, setting and corner triangles, binding)
5/8 yard white floral (setting squares)
1/2 yard mottled pink (setting squares)
3-1/3 yards backing fabric
Finished quilt: 51-1/2x60"
Finished block: 6" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From pink floral, cut:
From mottled yellow, cut:
From purple floral, cut:
From purple paisley, cut:
6-2-1/2x42" binding strips
6-9-3/4" squares, cutting each diagonally twice in an X for 24 setting triangles total (you will use 22)
18-6-1/2" setting squares
2-5-1/8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 4 corner triangles total
From white floral, cut:
14-6-1/2" setting squares
From mottled pink, cut:
12-6-1/2" setting squares
1. Referring to Diagram 1, sew together two pink floral 2-1/2x42" strips and one mottled yellow 2-1/2x42" strip to make strip set A. Press seams toward pink floral strips. Repeat to make three total of strip set A. Cut strip sets into 44-2-1/2"-wide A segments.
2. Referring to Diagram 2, sew together two mottled yellow 2-1/2x42" strips and one pink floral 2-1/2x42" strip to make strip set B. Press seams toward pink floral. Repeat to make a second strip set B. Cut strip sets into 22-2-1/2"-wide B segments.
3. Referring to Diagram 3, sew together two A segments and one B segment to make a Nine-Patch block. Press seams in one direction. The block should be 6-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 22 pink-and-yellow Nine-Patch blocks total.
4. Repeat steps 1–3 with purple floral strips and remaining mottled yellow strips to make six purple-and-yellow Nine-Patch blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out pink-and-yellow and purple-and-yellow Nine-Patch Blocks, white floral setting squares, mottled pink setting squares, and purple paisley setting squares and setting triangles in 12 diagonal rows.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward setting squares. Join rows; press seams in one direction. Add purple paisley corner triangles to complete quilt center. Press seams toward corner triangles.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with purple paisley binding strips.