Bold and Beautiful Throw
Highly saturated hues contrast with black prints and white prints in a modern throw. Fabrics are from the Sun Print 2021 collection by Alison Glass for Andover Fabrics.
Inspired by: Lake Life from designer Amanda Wilbert
Quilt tester: Diane Tomlinson
Finished quilt: 43-1/2×55-1/2"
Finished block: 12" square
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 3—1/2-yard pieces assorted white prints (blocks)
- 1/2 yard black print (blocks)
- 12—18×21" pieces (fat quarters) assorted prints in pink, teal, orange, blue, and green (blocks)
- 3/8 yard black tone-on-tone (inner border)
- 5/8 yard green floral (outer border)
- 1/2 yard teal floral (binding)
- 12—6-1/2" squares assorted florals in pink, teal, orange, blue, and green (blocks)
- 3 yards backing fabric
- 52×64" batting
Cut pieces in the following order.
If you prefer to make triangle-squares larger than necessary and trim them to size, cut 4" squares instead of the 3-7/8" squares specified here.
From white prints, cut 12 matching sets of:
- 4—3-7/8" squares
- 1—2×10" strip
From black print, cut:
- 12—2×10" strips
- 48—2×3-1/2" rectangles
From assorted prints , cut 12 matching sets of:
- 4—3-7/8" squares
- 4—3-1/2" square
From black tone-on-tone, cut:
- 5—2×42" strips for inner border
From green floral, cut:
- 6—2-1/2×42" strips for outer border
From teal floral, cut:
- 6—2-1/2×42" strips binding strips
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each white print 3-7/8" square and each assorted print 3-1/2" square.
2. Gather one matching set of white prints (2×10" strip and four marked 3-7/8" squares), one 2×10" strip and four 2×3-1/2" rectangles from black print, one matching set of assorted prints (four 3-7/8" squares and four marked 3-1/2" squares), and one floral print 6-1/2" square.
3. Sew together white print 2×10" strip and black print 2×10" strip to make a strip set (Diagram 1). Cut strip set into four 2"-wide segments.
4. Referring to Diagram 2, join a black print 2×3-1/2" rectangle and a 2"-wide segment to make a corner unit. The unit should be 3-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four corner units total.
5. Layer a marked white print square atop a print 3-7/8" square. Sew together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of marked line (Diagram 3). Cut apart on marked line. Press open to make two triangle-squares. Each triangle-square should be 3-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make eight triangle-squares total.
6. Referring to Diagram 4, sew together two triangle-squares to make a side unit. The unit should be 3-1/2×6-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make four side units total.
7. Align marked assorted print squares with opposite corners of floral 6-1/2" square (Diagram 5; note direction of marked lines). Sew on marked lines. Trim seam allowances to 1/4". Press open attached triangles. Align remaining marked print 3-1/2" squares with remaining corners of floral square; stitch, trim, and press as before to make a Square-in-a-Square unit. The unit should be 6-1/2" square including seam allowances.
8. Referring to Diagram 6, lay out corner units, side units, and Square-in-a-Square unit in three rows. Sew together units in rows. Join rows to make a block. The block should be 12-1/2" square including seam allowances.
9. Repeat steps 2–8 to make 12 blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks in four rows, rotating every other block 90° so seams abut. Sew together blocks in rows. Press seams open.
2. Join rows to complete quilt top; press seams open. The center should measure 36-1/2×48-1/2".
3. Piece and cut black tone-on-tone 2×42" strips to make:
- 2—2×48-1/2" inner border strips
- 2—2×39-1/2" inner border strips
4. Sew long inner border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add short inner border strips to remaining edges. Press seams toward inner border.
5. Piece and cut green floral 2-1/2×42" strips to make:
- 2—2-1/2×51-1/2" outer border strips
- 2—2-1/2×43-1/2" outer border strips
6. Sew long outer border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add short outer border strips to remaining edges. Press seams toward outer border to complete quilt top.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2. Quilt as desired. Handi Quilter Studio Educator Kim Sandberg used a Pro-Stitcher and digital designs from Mod Petals and Free-Motion Background Mixers collections by Quiltable to machine-quilt a dense pebble-and-swirl pattern in the block backgrounds and a looser design in the block centers (Quilting Diagram).
3. Bind with teal floral binding strips.