Blooming Borders 16-Patch Throw
Inspired by Outside The Box from Karen Montgomery of The Quilt Company
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
- 1-1/2 yards total medium assorted prints in orange, blue, yellow, purple, green, and red (blocks)
- 7/8 yard total dark assorted tone-on-tones in brown, blue, and red (blocks)
- 1-1/3 yards floral border stripe (border)
- 1/8 yard red tone-on-tone (corner squares)
- 5/8 yard green tone-on-tone (binding)
- 4 yards backing fabric
- 70" square batting
Finished quilt: 61-1/2" square
Finished block: 12" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Cut borders lengthwise (parallel to selvedge).
From medium assorted prints, cut:
- 160--3-1/2" squares
From dark assorted tone-on-tones, cut:
- 96--3-1/2" squares
From floral border stripe, fussy-cut:
- 4--7x48-1/2" borders
From red tone-on-tone, cut:
- 4--7" squares
From green tone-on-tone, cut:
- 7--2-1/2x42" binding strips
1. Referring to Diagram 1, lay out 10 assorted medium print 3-1/2" squares and six dark tone-on-tone 3-1/2" squares in four rows.
2. Sew together squares in each row. Press seams in directions indicated by arrows.
3. Join rows to make a 16-Patch block (Diagram 2). Press seams in direction indicated. The block should be 12-1/2" square including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 1–3 to make sixteen 16-Patch blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks in four rows. At red circled intersections, re-press block seams in opposite directions so they will interlock when blocks and rows are joined.
2. Sew together blocks in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row. Join rows to complete quilt top. Press seams in one direction.
1. Sew floral border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Press seams toward border strips.
2. Sew red tone-on-tone 7" squares to ends of remaining border strips to make two border units. Press seams toward squares. Join border units to remaining edges of quilt center to complete quilt top. Press seams toward border units.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with green tone-on-tone binding strips.