Black-and-White T-Shirt Throw
Inspired by One Size Fits All from designer Theresa Porter
Quilt tester: Kathleen Williams
5⁄8 yard black dot (blocks)
5⁄8 yard black dotted line print (blocks)
1⁄2 yard black scribble print (blocks)
1 yard black circle print (blocks, binding)
1⁄4 yard white polka dot (blocks)
7 yards ultralightweight fusible interfacing (such as Pellon 911FF)
3-5⁄8 yards backing fabric
Finished quilt: 55-1⁄2x70-1⁄2"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
1. Cut T-shirts open; remove collars and armholes but do not trim to size.
2. Place T-shirts facedown. Lay fusible interfacing over the printed designs.
3. Following manufacturer's instructions, press fusible interfacing onto wrong sides of T-shirts; let cool.
From interfaced T-shirts, cut:
Cut pieces in the following order.
From black dot, cut:
From black dotted line print, cut:
From black scribble print, cut:
From black circle print, cut:
7-2-1⁄2x42" binding strips
From white polka dot, cut:
Assemble Block A
1. Sew together a black dot 1-1⁄2x42" strip and a black dotted line print 1-1⁄2x42" strip to make a strip set. Press seams toward black dotted line print strip. Repeat to make four strip sets. Cut strip sets into four 12-1⁄2"-wide segments and four 20-1⁄2"-wide segments (Diagram 1).
2. Add 12-1⁄2"-wide segments to short edges of a T-shirt 12-1⁄2x16-1⁄2" rectangle. Press seams toward pieced segments (Diagram 2). Join 20-1⁄2"-wide segments to remaining edges to make Block A. Press seams toward pieced segments. Block A should be 16-1⁄2x20-1⁄2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make a second Block A, reversing which black print is next to T-shirt rectangle.
Assemble Block B
1. Sew a black dotted line 3-1⁄2x12-1⁄2" strip to top edge of a T-shirt 12-1⁄2" square (Diagram 3). Press seam toward black print strip. Add a black dot 2-1⁄2x15-1⁄2" strip to right-hand edge to make Block B. Press seam toward strip. Block B should be 14-1⁄2x15-1⁄2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make a reversed Block B, sewing black dotted line strip to bottom edge and black dot strip to left-hand edge.
2. Using black scribble print 3-1⁄2x12-1⁄2" strips and black circle print 2-1⁄2x15-1⁄2" strips, repeat step 1 to make a second Block B and a second reversed Block B.
Assemble Block C
1. Referring to Diagram 4, sew a black scribble print 3-1⁄2x12-1⁄2" strip to top edge of a T-shirt 12-1⁄2" square. Sew a second black scribble print 3-1⁄2x12-1⁄2" strip to bottom edge of second T-shirt 12-1⁄2" square. Press seams toward black print strips.
2. Sew together Step 1 units and a black scribble print 3-1⁄2x15-1⁄2" strip to make Block C. Press seams in one direction. Block C should be 27-1⁄2x15-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
3. Using black dotted line print 3-1⁄2x12-1⁄2" and 3-1⁄2x15-1⁄2" strips, repeat steps 1 and 2 to make a second Block C.
Assemble Block D
1. Join black scribble print 2x16-1⁄2" strip to left-hand edge of T-shirt 12-1⁄2x16-1⁄2" rectangle (Diagram 5). Press seams toward black print strip.
2. Sew a black circle print 2-1⁄2x16-1⁄2" strip to right-hand edge of T-shirt rectangle. Press seam toward black print strip.
3. Add black circle print 2-1⁄2x16" strips to top and bottom edges of T-shirt rectangle. Press seams toward black print strips.
4. Sew a black dot 2x20-1⁄2" strip to left-hand edge of T-shirt rectangle. Press seam toward black print strip.
5. Sew together a black dotted line print 1-1⁄2x42" strip and a white polka dot 2x42" strip to make a strip set. Press seam toward black strip. Cut strip set into two 20-1⁄2"-wide segments.
6. Sew a 20-1⁄2"-wide segment to right-hand edge of T-shirt rectangle to make Block D (Diagram 5). Press seam toward segment. Block D should be 20x20-1⁄2" including seam allowances
7. Assembling in mirror-image fashion and using a remaining 20-1⁄2"-wide segment, repeat steps 1–4, then 6 to make a mirror-image Block D.
8. Using the following pieces and referring to Diagram 6, repeat steps 1–7 to make a second Block D and a second mirror-image Block D: two T-shirt 12-1⁄2x16-1⁄2" rectangles, two black scribble print 2x16-1⁄2" strips, two black dot 2-1⁄2x16-1⁄2" strips, four black dot 2-1⁄2x16" strips, two black circle print 2x20-1⁄2" strips, one black dotted line print 2x42" strip, and one white polka dot 1-1⁄2x42" strip.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram sew together pieced blocks in four horizontal rows. Press seams open. Each row should be 551⁄2" wide including seam allowances.
2. Sew together rows to complete quilt center. Press seams open.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with black circle print binding strips.