Big Block Throw
Inspired by "Faded Rose" from designer Cherie Ralston
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
- 1/2 yard multicolor stripe (block borders)
- 4--18x22" pieces (fat quarters) large florals (blocks)
- 1-3/4 yards blue tone-on-tone (sashing, binding)
- 1/2 yard blue-and-white diagonal check (sashing squares)
- 3-1/2 yards backing fabric
- 61" square batting
Finished quilt: 54-1/2" square
Finished block: 16" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From multicolor stripe, cut:
- 8--1-1/2x18-1/2" strips
- 8--1-1/2x16-1/2" strips
From each large floral, cut:
- 1--16-1/2" square
From blue tone-on-tone, cut:
- 6--2-1/2x42" binding strips
- 12--6-1/2x18-1/2" sashing rectangles
From blue-and-white diagonal check, cut:
- 9--6-1/2" sashing squares
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Sew multicolor stripe 1-1/2x16-1/2" strips to opposite edges of a large floral 16-1/2" square. Add multicolor stripe 1-1/2x18-1/2" strips to remaining edges to make a bordered block (Block Assembly Diagram). The bordered block should measure 18-1/2" square, including seam allowances. Press all seams toward multicolor stripe.
2. Repeat Step 1 to make four bordered blocks total.
3. Referring to photo, lay out blue tone-on-tone sashing rectangles, blue-and-white diagonal check sashing squares, and bordered blocks in five rows.
4. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward sashing rectangles in each row. Join rows to complete quilt top; press seams in one direction.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with blue tone-on-tone binding strips.