Add It Up
What’s the sum of Nine-Patches and Rail Fences? A fabulous quilt with the look of plus signs. Fabrics are from the Coquette collection by Chez Moi for Moda Fabrics.
Designer: Wendy Barker Paull
- 1-3/4 yards solid white (blocks)
- 25—2-1/2×42" precut strips or 2-1/8 yards total assorted prints in yellow, pink, green, aqua, and lavender (blocks)
- 1 yard pink floral (border)
- 5/8 yard variegated pink stripe (binding)
- 4 yards backing fabric
- 71" square batting
Finished quilt: 62-1/2" square
Finished blocks: 6" square
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From solid white, cut:
- 60—2-1/2×6-1/2" rectangles
- 189—2-1/2" squares
From assorted prints, cut:
- 60—2-1/2×6-1/2" rectangles
- 180—2-1/2" squares
From pink floral, cut:
- 6—4-1/2×42" strips for border
From variegated pink stripe, cut:
- 7—2-1/2×42" binding strips
1. Referring to Diagram 1, lay out five solid white 2-1/2" squares and four assorted print 2-1/2" squares in three rows.
2. Sew together squares in each row. Press seams toward print squares. Join rows to make Block A. Press seams toward middle row. Block A should be 6-1/2" square including seam allowances.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make 25 A blocks total.
4. Referring to Diagram 2, repeat steps 1 and 2 using five assorted print 2-1/2" squares and four solid white 2-1/2" squares to make Block B. Repeat to make 16 B blocks total.
5. Referring to Diagram 3, join two solid white 2-1/2×6-1/2" rectangles and one assorted print 2-1/2×6-1/2" rectangle to make Block C. Press seams toward print rectangle.
Block C should be 6-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 20 C blocks total.
6. Referring to Diagram 4, repeat Step 5 using two assorted print 2-1/2×6-1/2" rectangles and one solid white 2-1/2×6-1/2" rectangle to make Block D. Repeat to make 20 D blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks in nine horizontal rows, alternating A and C blocks in odd-number rows and D and B blocks in even-number rows.
2. Sew together blocks in each row. Press seams toward C and D blocks.
3. Join rows to make quilt center; press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 54-1/2" square including seam allowances.
1. Cut and piece pink floral 4-1/2×42" strips to make:
- 2—4-1/2×62-1/2" border strips
- 2—4-1/2×54-1/2" border strips
2. Sew short border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1) Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2) Quilt as desired. Nancy Troyer machine-quilted a spiral pattern across the quilt top.
3) Bind with variegated pink stripe binding strips.