Sunbonnet Sue Quilt Block
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 12" square piece red print
- 9" square piece blue print
- 3" square piece cream print
- 1--13-1/2 ×12" rectangle background print
- Lightweight iron-on fusible web
Finished block: 13-1/2×12"
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" above for the pattern pieces. To use fusible web for appliquéing A–E pieces, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns A–E. Use a pencil to trace each pattern once, leaving 1/4" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1/8" outside traced lines.
2. Following manufacturer's instructions, press each fusible-web shape onto wrong side of designated fabric; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From red print, cut:
- 1 each of patterns A, C, and E
From blue print, cut:
- 1 of Pattern B
From cream print, cut:
- 1 of Pattern D
From background print, cut:
- 1-13-1/2 ×12" rectangle
1. Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram, on a background print 13-1/2 ×12" rectangle arrange appliqué pieces A–E. Fuse all pieces in place following manufacturer's instructions.
2. Using threads that match appliqués, machine-stitch around edges using your favorite appliqué stitch to make a block.