Solid Squares Twin Bed Quilt
Inspired by "Red-&-White Delight" from designer Mabeth Oxenreider
Quiltmaker: Kathleen Williams
- 1/4 yard each of 15 assorted solids (blocks)
- 4-1/2 yards solid gray (sashing, border, binding)
- 5-1/3 yards backing fabric
- 68x96" batting
Finished quilt: 61-1/2x90"
Cut pieces in the following order. Cut sashing and border strips lengthwise (parallel to selvages).
From each assorted solid, cut:
- 4--6" squares (you will use 54 of the 60 cut)
From solid gray, cut:
- 2--4-1/2x90" border strips
- 5--4-1/2x82" sashing strips
- 2--4-1/2x53-1/2" border strips
- 48--4-1/2x6" sashing rectangles
- 8--2-1/2x42" binding strips
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out 54 assorted-solid 6" squares, the gray sashing rectangles, and the gray sashing strips in 11 vertical rows.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams in one direction. The pieced rows should each be 6x82" including seam allowances.
3. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams toward sashing strips. The pieced quilt center should be 53-1/2x82" including seam allowances.
1. Sew short border strips to short edges of quilt center. Press seams toward border.
2. Sew long border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2. Quilt as desired.
3. Bind with solid gray binding strips.