Patchwork Flannel Bed Quilt
Don't let cold temperatures stop you from sewing up a storm. Keep warm by combining flannels from your favorite collections to create a cozy bed quilt. We chose dark red and gray flannels that remind us of menswear woolens. Fabrics are from the Tailor Made Flannel collection by Timeless Treasures Fabrics and the Woolies Flannel collection by Bonnie Sullivan for Maywood Studio.
Inspired by Bright & Easy from designer Marinda Stewart
Quilt tester: Jan Ragaller
1⁄2 yard red check flannel (blocks)
1⁄2 yard mottled gray flannel (blocks)
1 yard red plaid flannel (inner border)
1-1⁄2 yards gray check flannel (middle border)
2-7⁄8 yards red-and-gray diagonal plaid flannel (outer border, binding)
5-1⁄2 yards backing fabric
Finished quilt: 70-1⁄2x90-1⁄2"
(twin-size with 15" drop)
Finished block: 10" square
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Cut border strips lengthwise (parallel to the selvages).
From red check flannel, cut:
From mottled gray flannel, cut:
From red plaid flannel, cut:
4-10-1⁄2x30-1⁄2" inner border strips
From gray check flannel, cut:
2-10-1⁄2x50-1⁄2" middle border strips
2-1-1⁄2x30-1⁄2" middle border strips
From red-and-gray diagonal plaid flannel, cut:
4-10-1⁄2x70-1⁄2" outer border strips
8-2-1⁄2x42" binding strips
Assemble Four-Patch Blocks
1. Referring to Diagram 1, sew together one red check 5-1⁄2x42" strip and one mottled gray 5-1⁄2x42" strip to make a strip set. Press seam toward mottled gray (or press open to prevent bulk). Repeat to make a second strip set. Cut strip sets into fourteen 5-1⁄2"-wide segments total.
2. Join two segments to make a Four-Patch block (Diagram 2). Press seam in one direction or open. The Four-Patch block should be 10-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make seven Four-Patch blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew together three Four-Patch blocks in a vertical row to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction or open. The quilt center should be 10-1⁄2x30-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
2. Sew red plaid 10-1⁄2x30-1⁄2" inner border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add remaining red plaid 10-1⁄2x30-1⁄2" inner border strips to remaining edges (Quilt Assembly Diagram). Press all seams toward inner border or open. The quilt center now should be 30-1⁄2x50-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
3. Add gray check 10-1⁄2x50-1⁄2" middle border strips to long edges of quilt center (Quilt Assembly Diagram). Press seams toward middle border or open. Add a Four-Patch block to each end of gray check 10-1⁄2x30-1⁄2" middle border strips to make two pieced middle border strips. Press seams toward gray check strips or open. Join pieced middle border strips to remaining edges of quilt center. Press seams toward middle border or open. The quilt center now should be 50-1⁄2x70-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
4. Sew red-and-gray diagonal plaid 10-1⁄2x70-1⁄2" outer border strips to long edges of quilt center (Quilt Assembly Diagram). Add remaining red-and-gray diagonal plaid 10-1⁄2x70-1⁄2" outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border or open.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with red-and-gray diagonal plaid binding strips.