Hourglass Made Easy Bed Quilt
Inspired by "Happy Medium" from designer Tammy Kelly
Quiltmaker: Kathy Williams
9-1/2-yard pieces assorted light and medium blue prints and stripes (blocks)
9-1/2-yard pieces assorted light and medium green prints and stripes (blocks)
3/4 yard medium blue print (binding)
7-1/3 yards backing fabric
Finished quilt: 81-1/2x95"
Finished block: 6-3/4" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.Download this Project
Cut pieces in the following order.
From assorted light and medium blue prints and stripes, cut:
From assorted light and medium green prints and stripes, cut:
From medium blue print, cut: 9-2-1/2x42" binding strips Download this Project
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of 42 assorted blue print 8" squares and 42 assorted green print 8" squares. (To prevent fabric from stretching as you draw the lines, place 220-grit sandpaper under each squares.) Set aside marked green print squares for Step 3.
2. Layer a marked blue print square atop an unmarked green print 8" square. Sew pair together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1). Cut pair apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press each triangle unit open, pressing seam toward green print, to make two triangle-squares total. Each triangle-square should be 7-5/8" square including seam allowances.
3. Repeat Step 2 using remaining marked blue and unmarked green print squares and unmarked blue and marked green print 8" squares to make 168 triangle-squares total.
4. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line perpendicular to seam line on wrong side of 84 triangle-squares.
5. Layer a marked triangle-square atop an unmarked, nonmatching triangle-square, aligning seam lines. Sew pair together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 2).
6. Cut pair apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press triangle units open, pressing seams in one direction, to make two hourglass blocks. Each hourglass block should be 7-1/4" square including seam allowances.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 using remaining marked and unmarked triangle-squares to make 168 hourglass blocks total.Download this Project
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks in 14 horizontal rows.
2. Sew together blocks in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row.
3. Join rows to complete quilt top. Press seams in one direction.Download this Project
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2. Quilt as desired.
3. Bind with medium blue print binding strips.