Two-Block Kid's Quilt
Animal-theme novelty prints from the Jungle Baby collection by Kate Honarvar make an easy, kid-friendly crib quilt. Coordinating tone-on-tones from the Razzle Dazzle, Dotty, and Color Wash collections round out the look. All fabrics are from Timeless Treasures.
Inspired by Citrus from designer Ann Weber of Gingham Girls
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
1/8 yard each of purple, dark blue, blue, and bright pink prints (A and B blocks)
1/4 yard orange print (B blocks)
1 yard total assorted animal novelty prints (A and B blocks)
1 yard mottled lime green (sashing, binding)
1-5/8 yards backing fabric
Finished quilt: 35-1/2x49-1/2"
Finished blocks: 9" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From purple print, cut:
From dark blue print, cut:
From blue print, cut:
From bright pink print, cut:
From orange print, cut:
From assorted animal novelty prints, cut:
8-7-1/2x9-1/2" rectangles (If prints used are directional, cut so rectangles will be horizontal in the finished quilt.)
7-5-1/2x9-1/2" rectangles (If prints used are directional, cut so rectangles will be vertical in the finished quilt.)
From mottled lime green, cut:
7-2-1/2x42" strips for sashing
5-2-1/2x42" binding strips
1. Sew purple print 1-1/2x9-1/2" rectangles to long edges of an animal novelty print 7-1/2x9-1/2" rectangle to make a purple Block A (Diagram 1). Press seams toward purple print. The block should be 9-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four purple A blocks total.
2. Using dark blue print 1-1/2x9-1/2" rectangles instead of purple print, repeat Step 1 to make two dark blue A blocks.
3. Using blue print 1-1/2x9-1/2" rectangles instead of purple print, repeat Step 1 to make two blue A blocks.
4. Sew bright pink print 2-1/2x9-1/2" rectangles to long edges of an animal novelty print 5-1/2x9-1/2" rectangle to make a pink Block B (Diagram 2). Press seams toward bright pink print. The block should be 9-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make a second pink Block B.
5. Using orange print 2-1/2x9-1/2" rectangles instead of bright pink print, repeat Step 4 to make five orange B blocks.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Cut and piece mottled lime green 2-1/2x42" strips to make:
- 4-2-1/2x45-1/2" sashing strips
- 2-2-1/2x35-1/2" sashing strips
2. Lay out blocks in three vertical rows, alternating A and B blocks (Quilt Assembly Diagram). Sew together blocks in each row; press seams toward A blocks.
3. Join block rows and long mottled lime green sashing strips (Quilt Assembly Diagram). Add short mottled lime green sashing strips to top and bottom edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward sashing.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with mottled lime green binding strips.