Strips and Sashing Kid's Quilt
Surround strips separated by sashing with a pair of borders in an easy kid's quilt. Fabrics are from the Green Acres collection by Maria Kalinowski for Timeless Treasures.
Inspired by Little Sprouts from designer Vanessa Christenson of V and Co.
Quilt tester: Judy Sams Sohn
2-3/8-yard pieces red prints (background)
2-3/8-yard pieces white prints (background)
1/2 yard tan print (sashing, inner border, binding)
7/8 yard black print (outer border, binding)
3 yards backing fabric
54" square batting
Finished quilt: 45-1/2x46"
Quantities are for 44/45"- wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From each red print and white print, cut:
From tan print, cut:
3-2x38-1/2" sashing strips
2-1-1/2x41" inner border strips
2-1-1/2x38-1/2" inner border strips
From black print, cut:
5-3x42" strips for outer border
5-2-1/2x42" binding strips
Assemble Quilt Center
Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew together red print and white print 9x38-1/2" strips and tan print 2x38-1/2" sashing strips to make quilt center. Press seams open. The quilt center should be 38-1/2x39" including seam allowances.
1. Join tan print 1-1/2x38-1/2" inner border strips to short edges of quilt center. Add tan print 1-1/2x41" inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward inner border.
2. Cut and piece black print 3x42" strips to make:
- 2-3x46" outer border strips
- 2-3x40-1/2" outer border strips
3. Join short black print outer border strips to short edges of quilt center. Add long black print outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with black print binding strips.