Stacked Strips Crib Quilt
Showcase fabric in a lap-size quilt by using large-scale prints for the wide rectangles and small- and medium-scale prints for the narrow rectangles. Prints are from the Silent Cinema collection by Jenean Morrison and solids are from the Voile Solids collection, both from FreeSpirit.
Inspired by Thick and Thin from designer Amy Walsh of Blue Underground Studios
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
2-3/4 yards total assorted prints and solids in yellow, pink, coral, gray, green, and blue (blocks)
Note: You can cut one set of matching rectangles and one set of matching strips from 1/8 yard.
1/2 yard solid gray (binding
2-5/8 yards backing fabric
Finished quilt: 38-1/2x54-1/2"
Finished block: 9-1/2x9"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From assorted prints and solids, cut:
72-3x10" rectangles (24 sets of 3 matching rectangles)
48-1-1/4x10" strips (24 sets of 2 matching strips)
From solid gray, cut:
5-2-1/2x42" binding strips
1. Referring to Block Assembly Diagram, lay out three 3x10" rectangles from one assorted print or solid and two 1-1/4x10" strips from a contrasting print or solid.
2. Sew together rectangles to make a block. For ease in matching seams and producing a smoother overall quilt top, designer Amy Walsh recommends pressing seams open. The block should be 10x9-1/2" including seam allowances.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make 24 blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks in six horizontal rows, arranging color combinations as desired.
2. Sew together blocks in each row; press seams open. Join rows to complete quilt top. Press seams open.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with solid gray binding strips.