Soft Spot Baby Quilt
Sew a fast baby quilt using simple blocks and a soft color palette. Fabrics are from the Meant to Bee collection by Clara Jean Design for Dear Stella.
Inspired by: Bright Spot from designer Amber Johnson of Gigi's Thimble
Quilt tester: Martha Gamm
Finished size: 45" square
Finished block: 11-1/2" square
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 1 yard light blue print (blocks, sashing)
- 1/3 yard each white print, white floral, and yellow print (blocks)
- 5/8 yard dark blue print (blocks, border)
- 1/2 yard binding fabric
- 3 yards backing fabric
- 53"-square batting
Cut pieces in the following order.
From light blue print, cut:
- 2—3×40" sashing strips
- 6—3×12" sashing rectangles
- 36—3×5" rectangles
- 36—3" squares
From each white print, white floral, and yellow print, cut:
- 12—5" squares
From dark blue print, cut:
- 5—3×42" strips for border
- 9—3" squares
From binding fabric, cut:
- 5—2-1/2×42" binding strips
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Press seams in directions indicated by arrows on diagrams. If no direction is specified, press seam toward darker fabric.
1) Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each light blue print 3" square. (To prevent fabric from stretching as you draw lines, place 220-grit sandpaper under each square.)
2) Align a marked light blue print square with one corner of a white print 5" square (Diagram 1; note direction of marked line). Sew on marked line. Trim seam allowance to 1/4". Press open attached triangle to make a corner unit. The unit should be 5" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four matching corner units total.
3) Referring to Diagram 2, lay out corner units, four light blue print 3×5" rectangles, and one dark blue print 3" square in three rows. Sew together pieces in rows. Join rows to make a block. The block should be 12" square including seam allowances.
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 with white floral, yellow print, and remaining white print 5" squares to make nine blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1) Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks, light blue print 3×12" sashing rectangles, and light blue print 3×40" sashing strips in five rows.
2) Sew together pieces in block rows. Press seams toward sashing rectangles. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams toward sashing strips. The quilt center should be 40" square including seam allowances.
3) Piece and cut dark blue print 3×42" strips to make:
- 2—3×45" border strips
- 2—3×40" border strips
4) Sew short border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press seams toward border.
1) Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2) Bind with binding strips.