Soft Baby Blocks
Designer: Jeanne Pryor
- Scraps of assorted prints, stripes, and solids (blocks, optional appliqués)
- Polyester fiberfill
- Fusible web (optional)
Finished block: 2-1/2" cube
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Click on "Download this Project" above for pattern pieces. Cut pieces in the following order. Be sure to transfer the dots (matching points) marked on the Cube Pattern to the template, then to the fabric pieces. The following instructions result in one block.
From assorted prints, stripes, and solids, cut:
- 6 of Cube Pattern
Fuse the Shapes and Letters
To personalize your blocks, add a contrasting half circle, quarter circle, or letter to a side or two using our simplified fusible appliqué technique. To use fusible web for cutting appliqué shapes, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Use a pencil to trace patterns, leaving at least 1/2" between tracings. Cut out fusible-web shapes roughly 1/4" outside traced lines.
2. Following manufacturer's instructions, press fusible-web shapes onto backs of desired fabrics. Let cool, then cut out shapes on drawn lines; peel off paper backings.
3. Press fusible-web appliqués onto 3" fabric squares. Use a zigzag stitch to machine-appliqué pieces in place.
1. Referring to Diagram 1, sew together four squares, stopping and starting each seam at marked dots, 1/4" from corners.
2. Matching dots, sew another square to one edge of pieced unit (Diagram 2).
3. Repeat Step 2, joining remaining square to unsewn edge of pieced unit, leaving a 1-1/2" opening along one side for turning, to make a cube (Diagram 3).
4. Turn cube right side out. Stuff with fiberfill to desired firmness, working fiberfill into corners. Using quilting thread or double thread, securely hand-sew opening together to complete the block.