Safari Fun Panel Quilt
Inspired by Dream Tree from designer Terri Westberg
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
- 1⁄2 yard each brown, green, orange, and yellow prints (border)
- 32-1⁄2×40-1⁄2" printed panel
- 1⁄2 yard binding fabric
- 2-3⁄4 yards backing fabric
- 49×57" batting
Finished quilt: 40-1⁄2×48-1⁄2"
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
Note: Designer Laura Boehnke's panel had a printed border. When she trimmed the panel to 32-1⁄2×40-1⁄2", it created the appearance of a skinny inner border strip. Trim your printed panel to the indicated size, or trim the width and length of the panel to the largest possible multiple of 4 and add 1⁄2".
From each brown, green, orange, and yellow print, cut:
- 10--5-1⁄4" squares, cutting each diagonally twice in an X for 160 triangles total
From binding fabric, cut:
- 5--2-1⁄2×42" binding strips
Assemble Hourglass Units
Referring to Hourglass Diagram, sew together four triangles (brown, green, orange, and yellow print) in pairs. Join pairs to make an hourglass unit. The hourglass unit should be 4-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 40 hourglass units total.
Assemble and Add Border
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew together 10 hourglass units to make a border strip. Press seams open. The strip should be 4-1⁄2×40-1⁄2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make a total of four border strips.
2. Sew two border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add two border strips to remaining edges to make a quilt top. Press seams open. The quilt top now should be 40-1⁄2×48-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind quilt with binding strips.