Ribbon and Rickrack Baby Toys
Designer: Katie Hennagir of Katie Hennagir Designs
2—7" squares green crafts felt (green toy)
6" square pink crafts felt (appliqué)
2—5x10" rectangles blue crafts felt (blue toy)
Scrap of brown crafts felt (appliqué)
1-1/4 yards total assorted 3/8"- to 5/8"-wide ribbons and rickrack in pink, light green, and gray
Finished toys (excluding tags): green, 5" diameter; blue, 4x8"
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances.
Cut pieces in the following order.
Click on "Download this Project" for patterns.
Cut out each pattern on outer solid lines. Pin to color of felt indicated in cutting directions, and cut out fabric shape along edge of pattern.
From green felt, cut:
2 of Pattern A
From pink felt, cut:
1 of Pattern B
From blue felt, cut:
2 of Pattern C
From brown felt, cut:
1 of Pattern D
From assorted ribbons and rickrack, cut:
Assemble Green Toy
1. Mark Pattern A slit cutting line on right side of a green felt A circle. Layer green felt A circles with wrong sides together and edges aligned.
2. Fold a 3"-long assorted ribbon or rickrack piece in half with wrong side inside to make a loop. Tuck raw ends of loop at least 3/8" inside layered A circles (Diagram 1). Pin loop in place.
3. Repeat to pin 12 loops total between layered A circles. Using short machine straight stitches, sew through all layers 1/4" from edges of A circles (Diagram 2).
4. Carefully cut along slit cutting line on marked green felt A circle only; do not cut through unmarked circle. Stuff firmly with fiberfill through opening, using the eraser end of a pencil to push filling against edges. Whipstitch opening closed.
5. Referring to Diagram 3, arrange pink felt B star over opening seam; pin in place. Using pink thread, tack-stitch around edges of star to complete green toy. To tack-stitch, pull needle up at A (Tack Stitch Diagram). Push it down at B, and bring it up at C. Continue in same manner around entire shape.
Assemble Blue Toy
1. Mark Pattern C slit cutting line on right side of one blue felt C shape. Layer blue felt C shapes with wrong sides together and edges aligned.
2. Referring to Assemble Green Toy, Step 2, make a loop with remaining ribbon or rickrack piece. Referring to Diagram 4, pin loop in place between C shapes. Using short machine straight stitches, sew through all layers 1/4" from edges of C shapes.
3. Referring to Assemble Green Toy, Step 4, cut a slit in marked C shape; stuff with fiberfill and whipstitch opening closed. Using brown thread, tack-stitch brown felt D rectangle over opening seam to complete blue toy (Diagram 5).