Easy as 1-2-3
Brighten a room with the help of primary colors and lots of sparkling white.
Designers: Marny Buck and Jill Guffy of Modern Quilt Relish
- 20—2-1/2×42" strips assorted prints in green, yellow, red, blue, and white (blocks, rectangles)
- 1-1/4 yards solid white (sashing, border)
- 1/2 yard solid red (binding)
- 3-1/8 yards backing fabric
- 55×59" batting
Finished quilt: 46-1/2×50-1/2"
Finished block: 9×6"
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From each assorted print, cut:
- 3—2-1/2×9-1/2" rectangles
From remaining assorted prints, cut:
- 8—2-1/2×9-1/2" rectangles
From solid white, cut:
- 9—2-1/2×42" strips
- 24—2-1/2×9-1/2" sashing rectangles
From solid red, cut:
- 6—2-1/2×42" binding strips
The following instructions result in two coordinating blocks with fabrics in opposite positions. Repeat to make 20 blocks total (10 pairs of coordinating blocks).
1) Gather two sets of three assorted print 2-1/2×9-1/2" rectangles.
2) Referring to Diagram 1, sew together two rectangles of one fabric and one rectangle of coordinating fabric to make a block. Press seams in one direction. The block should be 9-1/2×6-1/2" including seam allowances.
3) Using remaining 2-1/2×9-1/2" rectangles, repeat Step 2 to make a second block with fabrics in opposite positions (Diagram 2).
Assemble Pieced Rows
1) Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew together two assorted print 2-1/2×9-1/2" rectangles, six solid white 2-1/2×9-1/2" sashing rectangles, and five blocks to make a pieced row. Press seams away from sashing rectangles. The pieced row should be 9-1/2×46-1/2" including seam allowances.
2) Repeat Step 1 to make four pieced rows total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1) Cut and piece solid white 2-1/2×42" strips to make:
- 3—2-1/2×46-1/2" sashing strips
- 4—2-1/2×46-1/2" border strips
2) Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew together pieced rows and three solid white sashing strips in seven vertical rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 42-1/2×46-1/2" including seam allowances.
3) Sew solid white border strips to side edges of quilt center. Add remaining solid white border strips to top and bottom edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1) Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2) Quilt as desired. April West machine-quilted a continuous arc pattern across the quilt top.
3) Bind with solid red binding strips.