Dinosaur Baby Quilt
Inspired by "Dot to Dot" from designer Kevin Kosbab
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
- 1/2 yard total assorted multicolor dinosaur prints (blocks)
- 5/8 yard total assorted mottled purple, yellow, lime green, red, blue, and green (blocks)
- 9" square orange print (blocks)
- 12-1/2" square black-and-white dinosaur print (blocks)
- 1/3 yard black-and-white print (border, binding)
- 1-1/3 yards backing fabric
- 35x47" batting
- Lightweight fusible web
Finished quilt: 28-1/2x40-1/2"
Finished block: 12" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabric. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" for pattern pieces. To make a full Large Circle pattern, fold a sheet of paper in half. Trace pattern with its dotted line on the fold, cut out, and unfold.
To use fusible web for appliquéing, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern the number of times indicated in cutting instructions, leaving 1/2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1/4" outside traced lines. For less stiff appliqués, also cut 1/4" inside traced lines of each piece and discard centers.
2. Following the manufacturer's instructions, press fusible-web shapes onto wrong sides of designated fabrics; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From assorted multicolor dinosaur prints, cut:
- 3--6-1/2" squares
- 3 of Large Circle Pattern
- 9 of Small Circle Pattern
From mottled purple, yellow, lime green, red, blue, and green, cut:
- 3--12-1/2" squares
- 9--6-1/2" squares
From orange print, cut:
- 3 of Small Circle Pattern
From black-and-white print, cut:
- 2--2-1/2x36-1/2" border strips
- 2--2-1/2x28-1/2" border strips
Appliqué & Assemble Blocks
1. Center a multicolor dinosaur print large circle on a mottled 12-1/2" square (Diagram 1). Fuse in place. With a small zigzag stitch and thread that matches the appliqué, machine-appliqué around circle to make an A block.
2. Using remaining multicolor dinosaur print large circles and remaining mottled 12-1/2" squares, repeat Step 1 to make three A blocks total.
3. Position a multicolor dinosaur print small circle on a mottled 6-1/2" square; fuse in place (Diagram 2). Machine-appliqué as before to make a Unit B. Repeat to make nine total of Unit B.
4. Using an orange print small circle and multicolor dinosaur print 6-1/2" square, repeat Step 3 to make a Unit C (Diagram 3). Repeat to make three total of Unit C.
5. Referring to Diagram 4, sew together three of Unit B and one of Unit C in pairs. Press seams toward a Unit B. Join pairs to make a Four-Patch block. Press seam in one direction. The block should be 12-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make three Four-Patch blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to photo, lay out A blocks and Four-Patch blocks in rows. Note that the Four-Patch block in the middle row is rotated so that the C unit is in the lower left-hand corner.
2. Sew together blocks in each row. Press seams toward A blocks. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 24-1/2x36-1/2" including seam allowances.
3. Sew long black-and-white print border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add short black-and-white print border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with black-and-white print binding strips.